Security Sensitive Position?:
YesHours of Work:
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-FPosting Number:
TSU202469Official TSU Title:
ACADEMIC ADVISOR FOOTBALLGrant Title:
N/AJob Description Summary / TWC Summary:
Under general supervision schedules meetings with student-athletes on a regular basis to monitor academic progress and provide support services including: study skills, time management, organizational skills, monitoring NCAA and institutional eligibility, developing individualized academic plans, registration/course selection, curriculum planning, advising, major/minor declaration and degree planning. Assists students in their educational progress, exploring service, leadership and extracurricular opportunities, and setting goals. Reviews reports from faculty and tutors on students’ academic progress, class attendance and grades. Maintains accurate records and files in compliance with all university, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.Essential Duties Summary:
- Reviews transcripts to ensure eligibility for admission to a specific program and evaluates transfer credits and applicability to program requirements.
- Answers inquiries and resolves problems related to curriculum and course prerequisites for student-athletes.
- Advises and assists student-athletes with selection of a major field of study, course selection, and class schedule.
- Advises and assists student-athletes in the development of academic progress plans and class schedules to transition to specific academic departments.
- Monitors student-athlete academic progress. Discuss academic success issues and advises student-athletes of corrective action to improve academic performance.
- Identifies, communicates with, and monitors the academic activities of student-athletes and degree program fulfillment.
- Prepares, maintains and updates files to ensure coursework and other specific degree program requirements are met by student-athletes. Generates required statistical reports to fulfill Athletic Department, NCAA, SWAC and outside agency requirements.
- Assists faculty, athletic coaches, certifying officer and other athletic department and university personnel by providing records, evaluations, and other requested data or information to process admission or graduation requests and to aid in resolution of academic problems.
- Assists student-athletes in overcoming educational and personal problems, and study skills deficiencies along with any Education Impacting Disabilities. Refers student-athletes to counselors, if and when necessary.
- May assist in formulating procedures and making decisions involving the application of academic requirements regarding NCAA, SWAC, and APP as appropriate.
- Assists in the planning, development, and implementation of orientation programs for student-athletes.
- Keeps abreast of NCAA Conference rules and regulations and University policies and procedures in order to ensure compliance within scope, and within assigned area. Promptly reports to the Athletic Director if there is reasonable cause to believe that violations or suspected violations have taken place
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
$41,976.00 - $52,470.00Education:
Bachelor’s degree or higher.Required Licensing/Certification:
Valid Texas Driver’s License preferred. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of:Must be knowledgeable of, abide by and comply in all respects with the constitution, bylaws, rules, regulations, advisory opinions, and interpretations, as amended (collectively “Rules and Regulations”) of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (“NCAA”) and the Rules and Regulations of the SWAC relating to the conduct and administration of University’s Intercollegiate Athletics Department. Skill in:· Problem-solving and decision-making.· Job function or professional discipline.· Strong time management.· Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:· Prepare detailed reports.· Work independently.· Work for a fully competent incumbent in the function or discipline.· Advise and communicate effectively.Work Experience:
More than three (3) years to five (5) years of related experience. Working/Environmental Conditions:
Prolonged standing and/or walking.Handling light weight objects.Using or carrying equipment. UA EEO Statement:
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly observed in all University employment-related activities such as advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin, individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Close Date:
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
07/26/2021Open Until Filled (overrides close field) :
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Open to all applicants.