Dean for Global Engagement and International Programs
Montana State University (MSU) invites nominations and applications for an exceptional academic leader to serve as Dean for Global Engagement and International Programs (Dean). The Dean reports to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost and provides strategic academic leadership for the Office of International Programs. In leading the University’s Office of International Programs, the Dean will spearhead MSU’s efforts in providing an environment and experience for all students that enhances learning and develops engaged global citizens and informed professionals.
Monta Montana State University, the state’s land-grant institution, educates students, creates knowledge and art, and serves communities by integrating learning, discovery and engagement. Montana State University is composed of ten academic colleges and a graduate school. Montana State University boasts a friendly, supportive faculty and campus environment. Currently, the University hosts an enrollment of approximately 16,250 students at its main campus, including over 2,000 graduate students. The graduate program encompasses 68 master’s degrees, 35 doctoral degree options and several certificate options. Working alongside world-class faculty mentors, students discover new knowledge that helps to improve quality of life around the globe.
MSU is an active partner in the state’s educational and economic development agenda; its seven research centers under the Montana Agricultural Experiment Station, 55 Montana State University Extension offices, Fire Services Training School and public service programs reach every county of the state, as well as seven Tribal reservations and beyond. MSU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education since 1932. Eligible professional academic and service programs within MSU are accredited by their corresponding agencies. For more information about Montana State University, please visit http://www.montana.edu/.
The Dean is responsible for providing leadership to the Office of International Programs (OIP) and leading the planning and execution of strategic internationalization initiatives as well as creating and promoting opportunities for faculty and students to participate in international activities. OIP serves as Montana State University’s international gateway by facilitating connections, programs and experiences that bring the world to Montana and Montana to the world. OIP is home to:
- International Recruitment and Admissions – Provides assistance to students who are considering, applying to, and enrolling at Montana State University.
- International Student and Scholar Service – ISSS works closely with visiting faculty, scholars, and campus employers by providing information regarding visa requirements; arrival to and orientation of Bozeman; and other needs.
- Study Abroad – Provides resources, advising and support to students in all majors wishing to enhance their college education by studying abroad. MSU offers over 250 study abroad programs in 60+ countries.
- Professional Development & Training Programs – Promotes the building and maintenance cross-cultural relationships by using the academic strengths of MSU and local resources to provide customized training programs for international students, educators, and professionals.
- Outreach and Special Projects – Supports travel compliance, travel registry and training, and works closely with INTERLINK International Institutes, MSU’s ESL provider.
The successful candidate should have:
- A master’s degree is required; a terminal degree from an accredited university is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of administrative leadership experience in an academic executive or comparable position;
- A thorough understanding of current issues related to international and study abroad programs;
- A demonstrated understanding of and exposure to the leadership and management of international and/or study abroad programs;
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic;
- An understanding of the benefits of diversity and a commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion;
- A successful track record of managing a budget and implementing sound financial management practices;
- Experience in budget forecasting and advocating for resources to internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated experience dealing effectively with crisis situations; and
- A proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively with campus stakeholders as well as with a broad range of constituent groups.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit: a current resume or curriculum vitae; a cover letter describing relevant experience, interest in the position, and a clear leadership statement; and a list of five references. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Emy Cruz, Partner
SP&A Executive Search
6512 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601
Email: [email protected]
Refer to code “MSU-DeanOIP” in subject line
Montana State University reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran. This policy applies to all programs and facilities, including, but not limited to, admissions, educational programs, and employment