Posting #: 3804
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Administrator, Athletics
Position Title & Department:
Head Men's Rowing Coach; AthlecticsPosting #
As part of the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic University, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to advancing academic and athletic excellence and enhancing students' lives while promoting the University of San Diego.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Head Men’s Rowing Coach is responsible for all administrative and organizational aspects of the USD Men’s Rowing Program within the mission of the University and its philosophy of Intercollegiate Athletics. The head men’s rowing coach will hold academic requirements and pursuits as a matter of highest priority and will actively encourage student-athletes to succeed academically and acquire a degree. The head men’s rowing coach directly supervises the assistant coach, volunteer coaches and student athletes. The head coach is also responsible for budget development and administration, recruitment of student-athletes, adherence to US Rowing, Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association and University regulations in regard to recruiting, admission standards and eligibility, monitoring student-athlete academic progress, the scheduling of athletic practices and contests, and the establishment of effective media relations. The head coach will assist in sports promotional and fundraising activities and serve as a representative of the University to the outside community when appropriate. Supervision received; general supervision from the Associate Director of Athletics. Supervision exercised; close supervision of the assistant coaches and volunteer coaches; oversight of athletes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Direct involvement with all administrative and organizational aspects of an intercollegiate athletics program under the supervision of the Associate AD.
- Supervision of assistant coaches with delegated responsibilities for the overall maintenance of the program
- Supervision of all student athletes in a coordinated and planned program of practices and competition, with a concern for the players’ health and welfare, physical and psychological preparation.
- Direct on-water coaching responsibilities.
- Responsible for the development and improvement of rowing technique. Work with individual rowers on ergs when requested and appropriate.
- Responsible for the organization of the USD Boathouse and for the safe handling of all equipment, including shells and launches.
- In cooperation with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and Student Services, uphold all University academic policies and assist, when appropriate, in counseling student-athletes relative to academic success, progress and eligibility
- Enforce University and athletic department policies and regulations in regard to the use/abuse of alcohol and drugs by team members
- Foster and maintain positive student body and faculty relations with student athletes
- Recommend to the Director of Athletics, an annual budget for the program and operate within the approved budget
- Work with the Manager of Athletic Equipment Services to purchase uniforms, supplies and equipment as approved by the Sport Supervisor and Director of Athletics.
- Responsibility for all team and individual travel, meals and lodging with prompt resolution of accounts
- Prepare and organize a representative schedule for approval by the Director of Athletics. Consideration should be given to the academic life of student-athletes, i.e. missed class time, examination periods and other factors that would adversely affect their academic success
- Participation in public relations, promotion and fund raising activities as conducted by the University and/or department.
- Maintain professional growth through attending meetings, coaches clinics, workshops, etc.
- Assist in the organization of any team and/or department awards presentations to student-athletes
- Establish and maintain positive relations with the media
- Responsible for the selection and training of all volunteer coaches
Responsibility for recruiting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes for admission to the University with adherence to admissions and athletic department policies and procedures in this regard.
- Knowledge of and adherence to all University and Conference rules and regulations, policies and procedures with special attention to recruiting, eligibility, admissions and financial aid
- Responsible for all on-campus official visits
- Responsible for the on-campus recruitment of “walk on” athletes when necessary to meet team membership needs.
- In cooperation with the USD Head Women’s Rowing Coach, direct oversight responsibility for the efficient and safe operation of the USD Boathouse
- Responsible for the maintenance of all USD rowing equipment, including all shells, oars, launches, trailer and crew truck.
- In cooperation with the women’s head coach, serve as the rigger for all racing shells
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Masters degree preferred; bachelor’s required.
- At least 5 years of related experience, which could include a combination of college or high school coaching, United States Team coaching or certified rowing club experience
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to recruit and develop student athletes academically and athletically
- Possess good communication and organizational skills
- Understanding of NCAA/IRA, Conference and USD rules and regulations and academic expectation of the University
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Heartsaver CPR /AED certification required. Must have this certificate within 6 weeks of employment.
- Must pass NCAA Division I Coaches Recruiting Test, (yearly). Must complete this within 6 weeks of employment.
- California driver’s license required within 6 weeks of employment. Class B license preferred.
- Appropriate US Coast Guard safety certification
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to travel for extended periods of time for athletic and recruiting events.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer, Microsoft Office, general office equipment, video editing equipment Ability to safely and effectively operate a launch. Ability to correctly rig a competitive racing shell. Ability to drive the crew trailer strongly encouraged.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions: Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 40 per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: July 19, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled