Job Description**Applicants should have experience with programming administrative claims data through SAS or R** The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), School of Pharmacy is currently seeking a SAS Programmer (IT Database Engineer) within Pharmaceutical Research Computing (PRC)
. PRC is a dynamic research center under the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research (PHSR). PRC provides analytic, biostatistics, programming, and data management support for pharmaceutical health services research.The individual who fills this position is expected to work in a team environment and have expertise using SAS, R, SQL, or other analytic software to create, analyze and verify data ensuring quality products to researchers in health services research. The individual must have knowledge of and experience in databases such as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), the Veterans VINCI system, or other claims based research, as well as qualitative data analysis (e.g. survey data analysis). The individual should have experience using ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT and NDC codes. An individual with the ability to work with R and/or other statistical packages (e.g., STATA, SUDAAN) is a plus. Established in 1841, the University of Maryland, School of Pharmacy is the fourth oldest school of pharmacy in the United States. As a leader in pharmacy education, scientific discovery, patient care, and community engagement, the School conducts cutting edge research and engages in a wide variety of professional practice activities to improve the health and well-being of citizens in the state of Maryland and beyond. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). BENEFITS:
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in the planning and engineering of an School's databases using comprehensive knowledge of SAS database technologies, along with solid coding and computer system skills. Monitors the performance, scalability and security. Evaluates existing database design to determine necessary updates and integration requirements of new design, and to ensure final solutions meet University needs.
- Design, manage and analyze very large and complex data files using SAS which include access methods, access time, file structures, device allocation, validation checks, statistical methods, and security.
- Analyze data requirements. Writes code for database access, modifications and constructions including all associated procedures. Monitor, analyze, and verify SAS programs creating and managing data to ensure data integrity.
- Develop and document data models of using appropriate data flow diagrams, and documents all process flows.. Conduct file maintenance and maintain the data dictionary.
- Adheres to policies and procedure for, and assist in data transfers or sharing of files with remote resources.
- Develop database structures to support specific applications. Serve as an active team participant to provide analytic SAS programming support on research studies.
- Produce study related outputs for use in publications, posters, or presentations.
- Work with other PRC staff to design database systems and programs to non-research purposes such as file structures, validation, checks, statistical methods and security.
- Train others, provide support, and teach SAS programming skills to graduate students, faculty, and post-docs.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelors in Information Technology, Computer Science, Systems Administration, Computer Engineering or a related field.Experience:
Four (4) years of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of database systems across multiple platforms.Other:
Related database experience may be substituted for education.Expected to work in a team environment to create, manage, analyze and verify very large and complex data files used in health services research using SAS, R, STATA, SQL, or other analytic software. Experience using ICD-9,ICD-10, CPT and NDC codes. Knowledge of and experience in databases such as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), the Veterans VINCI system, or other claims based data research data as well as qualitative data analysis (e.g. survey data analysis). Individual with knowledge of R and/or other statistical packages (e.g.,STATA, SUDAAN) as well as experience with relational database management systems (e.g.MySQL,PostgreSQL,or Oracle a plus) is highly desired. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
. Proficient programming skills in SAS including creating, merging data.
- Other required SAS skills include summarizing administrative claims data to person-level and event-level data, creating analytic variables (e.g. procedure and diagnosis flags); including using ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT and NDC codes. Independently cleans, validates, and analyzes research data in order to prepare research findings for peer reviewed publications, grant proposals, and other deliverables.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong skills in project documentation and process descriptions.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills; advanced mathematical abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Uses subject matter and technical expertise to identify and define research questions and data elements, and integrates them into research design. Leads the development and formulates best practices and protocols on data collection, data quality, warehousing, analysis, and reporting including developing special forms and/or formats for analyzing and presenting data.
- Knowledge of R and/or other statistical packages (e.g. STATA, SUDAAN) highly desirable.
- Knowledge of relational database management systems (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle a plus).
Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Pharmacy - Pharmaceutical Health Services ResearchJob Posting:
Jul 19, 2021Unposting Date:
Aug 2, 2021, 11:59:00 PM