Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department:
School of Aviation Primary Location:
Staff Job Type:
Full Time Position Close Date:
Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: Middle Georgia State University is seeking candidates for a Professional Advisor position. The position performs integrated academic advisement that supports student retention and graduation for prospective and current students by guiding the students through data informed decision processes. This is a continuous and consistent process, which is built upon the basis of accurate communication and consistent personal contacts between the advisor and advisee. This position requires some evenings and weekend work. Candidates will reside at one of the MGA campuses or be asked to cover several campuses, hence, travel to other campuses may be required.
- Assist and accurately guide students in defining and developing realistic educational career plans through academic schedule planning (mapping the curriculum) for each semester.
- Advise students about majors, course requirements, pre-requisite, grades and graduation requirements.
- Assist students in course selection and class registration.
- Serve as resource specialist to both students and faculty in the development, coordination, and implementation of academic advising services and support.
- Assist in the development and distribution of advisement and recruitment materials.
- Coordinate student advising within the assigned academic unit.
- Coordinate and implement advising services at institutional events such as open house and orientation.
- Monitor progress toward educational goals by meeting with students to discuss the proposed academic program, current grades and other performance indicators.
- Inform and, if necessary, refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, or other personal problems require intervention. (Student Success Center, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Counseling).
- Use institutional data to report on student success and retention.
- Plan and execute retention campaigns.
- Plan and execute call campaigns to build enrollment.
- Other Duties
- Plan and coordinate educational events such as information sessions and workshops.
- Participate in on-going professional development.
- Perform related duties as assigned or deemed necessary to meet the Academic Advising goals on any campus.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support campus operation.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of computer and job-related software programs
- Skill in decision-making and problem solving
- Skill in training and coordinating the work of related personnel
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public
- Skill in written and oral communication
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Knowledge of admission, registration and degree program requirements
- Knowledge of academic standards governing the student population
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention principles
- Experience in higher education, working knowledge of DegreeWorks
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a post-secondary or professional advising position.
- This position is non-exempt (bi-weekly paid).
- Pay Grade 16.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018370 Academic Advisor I - 7.19.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D