Instrumentation/Control Design Engineer
Full-Time# of Openings:
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
PPPL’s Instrumentation & Control group is a multidisciplinary team that conceptualizes, creates and maintains systems and components used by experiments throughout the world. We specialize in electronics, software, real-time control, process control and the application of technologies fundamental to the operation of nuclear fusion experiments. We develop and utilize the technologies necessary to provide control of the processes seen in the sun and stars, here on earth.Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
QualificationsEducation and Experience:
- Support Development of I&C designs for US ITER advanced Diagnostic projects, including:
- Fast control for diagnostic systems
- Slow process control systems
- Human Machine Interface
- Embedded system design
- Interface management for Control & Data Acquisition (CODAC) systems
- Analog and digital signal conditioning
- Cable and interface design in accordance with ITER specifications
- Coordinate with subcontractors performing I&C work, provide assurance.
- Develop accurate cost estimates for I&C scope.
- Develop accurate schedule estimates for I&C scope.
- Remotely collaborate on a multinational, multidisciplinary teams.
- Validate propagation of I&C functional requirements throughout the design implementation, strictly follows safety standards, especially on the instrumentation side.
- Ensures consistency between databases describing the I&C functions, such as power distribution data, cables lists, signal lists, cable termination data, equipment locations and classification.
- Monitors and follows up the engineering activities of the relevant Procurement Arrangements (PAs), to ensure that components and subsystems will be designed, fabricated, shipped, installed, tested and integrated on schedule consistent with the requirements.
- Develops the procedures for the on-site acceptance tests and integrated commissioning related to the I&C, in addition to testing/verifying deliverables from suppliers.
- Performs the integrated functional testing of the I&C development systems, including troubleshooting as and when necessary
- Follow-up the design and production of Electrical Diagrams, Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Cabling Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, Control Loop Diagrams and as built I&C system description documents.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A BS or greater in one of the following:
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Professional Experience (5-7 Years)
- Have designed and delivered process control systems utilizing PLCs (Siemens preferred)
- Successful delivery of complex projects utilizing National Instruments cDAQ, cRIO, or PXI technology
- Extensive experience generating and reading State Machine, UML, Logic Flow and Interconnection Diagrams.
- Experience and aptitude for generating comprehensive documentation packages for design reviews. Experience with Enterprise Architect a plus
- Experimental Physics & Industrial Control System (EPICS) and other SCADA systems a plus
- Some experience or academic knowledge of EM and nuclear radiation effects on modern electronics and strategies to mitigate
- I&C Engineering related to functional safety and nuclear safety;
- Implements and documents the programming or codes related to the Programmable Logic Control (PLC), Human Machine Interface (HMI), embedded system and Data Acquisition (DAQ) system as per I&C needs;
- Design oversight, contract assurance of vendor developed designs.
- Experience in using Linux, virtualization environment and real-time operating systems would be an advantage;
- Use and application of Distributed Control System (DCS) involving the design and implementation of hardware, software, data transmission networks and processes;
- Data acquisition, timing and synchronization system design.
- Knowledge of IEC 61513 & 61226 would be advantageous, or other international codes and standards for I&C
- Cable routing design, shielding and related deliverables.
- Primarily tele-working and on-site work with occasional conference or review travel (1-2 weeks per year)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.