Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness and Health Promotion Location:
UNG-Dahlonega, GA Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness and Health Promotion. The Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness and Health Promotion is responsible for the management of fitness, wellness and health promotion programs on the UNG Dahlonega campus. This position utilizes a wide range of educational methods, programs and techniques, resources and collaborative relationships, to improve health and wellness literacy and skills needed to make quality health decisions and avoid harmful behaviors. The Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness and Health Promotion has a unique opportunity to empower UNG students, faculty/staff, and the community to take ownership of their health by providing the foundation for program planning based on a thorough understanding of the needs of the UNG population, as well as provides an exceptional opportunity to lead and teach by working with the Peer Health Educators. The position is a 10-month, full-time, benefited position that reports to the Associate Director, Wellness and Health Promotion within the Department of Campus Recreation and Wellness. Some evening and weekend work required.
Additional job duties include the responsibility of P-card transactions with the department. In addition to background checks for all cardholders, O.C.G.A. § 50,5,83 requires a credit check on all employees issued a purchasing card. Additionally, credit checks must be run at the time of P-Card renewal.
- Under the direction of the Associate Director of Wellness and Health Promotion, promote and maintain a campus focus on well-being, utilizing the eight dimensions of wellness, by working in collaboration with the Peer Health Educators to provide quality programming to students on the UNG Dahlonega campus. Wellness programming includes, but is not limited to, alcohol and drug education, STD awareness, anxiety and stress management, sexual assault and domestic violence, physical fitness, nutrition and mental health awareness.
- Create, plan and manage a comprehensive fitness program to include group exercise and personal training.
- Supervise the Graduate Assistant, Fitness.
- Recruit, train, hire, supervise, and evaluate students in peer health (e.g. Peer Health Educators).
- Participate on the Healthy Campus Task force and other health-related initiatives as assigned, as well as manage incentive programs and special events related to fitness, wellness and health promotion.
- Responsible for P-card transactions within the Department of Campus Recreation & Wellness, which includes utilizing and managing personal p-card statement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and competence with fitness, health and wellness related topics.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak effectively to small and large groups.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- One-year experience in teaching or facilitating workshops to students in healthy behavior topics and managing fitness programs is required
- Master's degree in Public Health, Health Education, Health Promotion, or Exercise Science (Kinesiology) fields preferred
- Experience working with students in a college or university setting preferred.
- CPR & First Aid preferred.
- Experience working with small group trainings preferred
- Current certification from one of the following: ACSM, NSCA, NASM/ACE in Group Exercise and/or Personal Training preferred.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcripts
Apply Before Date
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
Special Applicant Instructions
Please submit contact information for three professional references