Program Manager for Public Service Leaders (4564U) 19491
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 30, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
The UC Berkeley Public Service Center (PSC) was founded in 1967 as the Community Projects Office by a coalition of student service groups, and was known as “Cal Corps” until 2013. The PSC has grown at a remarkable rate and now supports nearly 200 student leaders and more than 5,000 students who partner with 250 community-based organizations each year. The Public Service Center builds student leadership skills, helps students find their passion and purpose, enhances the capacity of our community partners, and lifts up the public service mission of the University. For the past over 50 years our organization has served as the heart of civic engagement and the public service voice at Berkeley.
The PSC is under the Dean of Students within the Division of Student Affairs. The Public Service Center is committed to fostering student development, and most of its programs are co-managed by student leaders with support, training, coaching and supervision from PSC professional staff.
The Program Manager for Public Service Leaders serves an integral role within the Public Service Center and has responsibility for the oversight and administration of the Peter E. Haas Public Service Leaders and Community Projects programs. The Program Manager engages in student leadership development through direct student staff supervision and specific programming, and is the lead overseeing credit units for these programs. Programmatic duties include supervision and advising of student program directors, training development, partnership management with internship sites, alumni development, and budget management. The Program Manager works as a member of a team and exercises independent judgment over program operations. The Program Manager also will work closely with other staff at the PSC to share ideas and inspiration, coordinate programming and scheduling, and create an atmosphere of supportive, creative learning, engagement, and collaboration. Candidates with high emotional intelligence, experience working on social justice issues within community organizations, and strong conflict resolution, group facilitation, and program management skills preferred.
The Peter E. Haas Public Service Leader program is a year-long, need based scholarship program that aims to support students engaging in public and community service. Students commit to 10-15 hours of public service per week and participate in Center-wide and program-specific personal and professional development training, including one-to one coaching with the Program Manager or other PSC staff. In this position, the Program Manager will support students throughout the school year and may coordinate new cross-campus summer partnerships that fall within program criteria.
The Program Manager will support students throughout the school year and may coordinate new cross-campus summer partnerships that fall within program criteria. The Program Manager will be responsible for all aspects of administering and managing the program including:
- Designing outreach efforts that reach eligible students passionate about public service
- Working with financial aid to determine eligibility for participation in the program
- Administering and managing scholarship payout processes
- Supporting students in their public service projects and placements
- Creating and delivering program training and curriculum that will help students maximize the impact of their service
- Coordinating and delivering one-to-one coaching support for students leaders
- Coordinating with PSC staff to support other eligible service leaders within the Center
The Student-initiated Community Projects Program supports 10-25 student-initiated student groups that are committed to addressing off-campus, community-based needs.
Student groups apply annually for Public Service Center sponsorship and, if selected, they receive funding, advising, and intensive leadership training. The Program Manager will be responsible for:
- Provide student group advising and leadership development
- Advise project leaders on campus and community services and resources, program planning, organizational development, leadership styles, funding, fundraising, volunteer management, networking, ethical decision- making, etc.
- Design new services based on the changing needs and interests of student groups and leaders
- Support students through reflective learning about their service and leadership experiences
- Ensure compliance with risk management policies and on-site safety
- Research, recommend and process fundraising and special requests as assigned
- Manage grant and financial details of the program
- Compile annual summary reports of each year's activities and budget expenditures
Center-wide training, development, and assessment:
- Manage credit units relevant to leadership programs, including supporting creation of syllabus for students participating in field studies units
- Participate in planning and delivering the Center's training and development curriculum
- Participate in developing long-range and annual component goals and objectives. Provide new program ideas, analysis and feedback. Participate in design and implementation of Center-wide assessment activities
- Participate in department and campus committees as appropriate
- Attend pertinent conferences and conventions; present information to staff for shared development
- Other duties as required.
- BS/BA degree in related area and/or 3+ years of related professional experience/training in student services, youth development, community development, internship development, career counseling and/or non-profit program coordination.
- Experience working with communities of color with an understanding and appreciation for issues facing underrepresented students.
- Demonstrated ability to provide services that effectively contribute to the retention of all students.
- Experience and ability to design, implement, manage and evaluate programs founded in principles of student development.
- Experience mentoring and/or supervising student staff in leadership roles.
- Strong organizational and communication (both verbal and written) skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and projects in a fast-paced, politically charged environment with excellent judgment and political acumen.
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint software.
- Masters degree in related field preferred.
- Experience managing internship programs and/or service programs.
- Experience with alumni development and/or donors/fund development.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) Career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19491&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency