Food Service Worker IV- Driver (6 Month Fixed-Term)
Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United States
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.Anticipated Shift:
The anticipated shift is based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.Sunday - Thursday 12:30pm - 9:00pmABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing high-quality services to students and other members of the university community. The department has an annual operating budget of over $350M, operates 24/7/365, and oversees a $3B asset portfolio comprising a 7 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus. In autumn quarter of the 2021-22 academic year, R&DE will return to providing housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serving meals at 17 dining halls, 12 retail locations, and operating athletic concessions and conference operations. Additionally, R&DE comprises 900 FTE staff in the following divisions: Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources, and Strategic Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE,“Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE's dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different. PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Assist University Event Manager, Catering Manager and Lead Catering Drivers. Responsible for driving to event location and setting up and breaking down catered events in an attractive and complete manner according to the event sheet and instructions given. Responsible for assembling food, beverage and catering supplies, must also pre-pack supplies for future catering events. Employees at this level are not expected to exercise judgment regarding the quality, i.e., the portioning or seasoning of menu items.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist Catering Management and Lead Catering Drivers. Responsible for setting up and breaking down catered events in an attractive and complete manner according to the event sheet and instructions.
- Responsible for assembling food, beverage and catering supplies. Pre-pack supplies for future catering events
- Must remain organized in daily routines.
- Ability to problem solve and trouble-shoot any situation
- Incumbent must set up catering events independently. Maintain inventory control of food, beverages and catering equipment. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Assure consistency in service, coordinate meal and set up requests.
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail and have knowledge of food production and service
- Incumbent must keep information confidential and communicate with lead drivers and catering manager.
- Must be flexible with customers last minute requests. Requires excellent customer service orientation and strong communication skills.
- Incumbent must check all food before it leaves the kitchen for accuracy and must be able to assist in kitchen production
- Must ensure all food coming out of the kitchen is appropriate for quantity and quality specified on order sheet.
- Assist with setting up rooms, preparing food, delivering and cleanup for catering and special events according to established timelines.
- Clean and maintain food service and serving areas in a safe, sanitary and orderly condition.
- Must remain organized in daily routines and must have knowledge of food production and service
- Requires excellent customer service orientation and strong communication skills. Must have some excellent listening skills.
- Familiarity with University locations and meeting locations is a plus.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English as well as follow written and oral instructions.
- Must work for long periods of time with limited support, and have the ability to lift heavy items in and out of freezers and refrigerated units. Incumbent must be able to work stressful conditions, fast paced conditions and irregular hours.
- Must be knowledgeable of food production standards and know and provide VIP service, able to lift up to 60lbs
- Walking: The ability to exert a reasonably paced mobility from one point to another within a generally accepted time frame. Must be able to recognize the conditions of the environment. Must have the ability to stand and walk for an extended period of time.
- Bending: Must have the ability to move and control one's torso so items can be picked up from a lower surface level.
- Reaching: The ability to stretch the body and extend arms to place or secure objects and commodities at a distance above, to the side of, or below the normal standing level.
- Lifting: Must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Must be able to use body parts, usually arms and hands (shoulders and back) to elevate an object or commodity above its previous surface level.
- Repetitive Motions: Ability to use body parts on a regular and continuing basis to repeat the same motions for a reasonable period of time without resting.
- Stooping: Ability to flex legs at the knee and move the upper body forward. Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes and excessive noise. Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS
- Flexibility with schedule and work assignments based on retail unit environment
- Compliance with safety and sanitation standards and work rules
- Regular and consistent attendance
- Ability to work as a team member on diverse workforce
- Respectful and professional behavior
Must have ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring (i.e. MSDS sheets) and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them. Must be able to read and understand recipes, production sheets and equipment usage information.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency