The Assistant Provost for Strategic Initiatives is responsible for advancing planning around strategic initiatives, overseeing Provost communications, advancing diversity and inclusion efforts, and directing projects and assignments within the Provost’s Office. The position involves consultation and collaboration with a broad range of academic and administrative areas throughout the University. The essential duties of this position include:
Strategic Planning and Initiatives
- Works with the Provost to advance the University’s strategic agenda and priorities
- Ensures that the initiatives, objectives and priorities of the Provost are understood and supported
- Helps facilitate the implementation of strategic initiatives
- Leads and serves on planning committees as appointed
- Develops, directs, and coordinates planning documents and special reports for the Provost around strategic initiatives
- Partners with University Relations to explore fundraising opportunities
- Works with Institutional Research and other offices to ensure that key performance indicators and metrics are measured and compiled to track progress against the Integrated Strategic Plan
- Works with project leads, department representatives, and University Marketing & Communications to develop content to promote the University’s strategic agenda and priorities
- Conducts research on relevant initiatives at other institutions of higher education
- Represents the Provost when appropriate
Diversity and Inclusion
- Work with the Office for Diversity and Inclusion to develop strategies for the recruitment, retention and success of faculty from underrepresented groups
- Designs approaches for promoting a student climate of inclusive excellence by collaborating with many University offices in sponsoring curricular, co-curricular and extracurricular programs
- Coordinates with Enrollment Management, the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX, and Human Resources to recruit a more diverse student body and staff
- Develops and oversees implementation of the communication plan for the Provost’s Office including the quarterly Provost’s Report to the Trustee Academic Affairs Committee, Provost’s updates / electronic newsletters to the campus, etc.
- Develops and maintains content for the Provost’s Office website
- Coordinates content development across the Provost’s division for the scu.edu website
- Oversees correspondence from the Provost’s Office
- Writes selected implementation plans, as directed by the Provost, to estimate operating budgets, human resources, and other requirements needed for strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with the College and Schools, University Centers of Distinction, University Relations (Development Office and Corporate & Foundation Relations), and Sponsored Projects Office to identify opportunities and contribute to selected institutional proposals for philanthropic gifts and grants to fund strategic initiatives
Provost’s Office Coordination
- Establishes working relationships with key stakeholders, including Vice Provosts, Deans, and Vice Presidents to address emerging issues and provide timely advice to the Provost.
- Serve as a point of contact between the Office of the Provost and other campus stakeholders, assessing inquiries directed to the Provost, determining the proper course of action and delegating to the appropriate individual to manage.
- Assists the Provost with planning, organizing support materials for the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Leads operational initiatives to support the efficiency and continuous improvement across Academic Affairs. This includes partnering with the Provost to identify and prioritize areas for standardization and updating policies and procedures to align with the long-term vision for the institution. Keeps Provost briefed on current work across the academic environment and on any emerging academic issues and the resolution of those issues. and ensures academic policies are reviewed, updated as necessary, and published accurately on the Provost’s web pages.
- Works with other senior personnel on the Provost’s Team to ensure all staff are properly trained and issues related to operations under the jurisdiction of the Provost’s Office are addressed properly, efficiently, and judiciously, keeping track of progress until issues are resolved.
- Work with the Provost and Vice Provosts to proactively engage in personnel planning to ensure an efficient and strategic use of personnel resources and to project budget for future personnel needs.
- Develops, prioritizes, and manages projects and assignments in the Provost’s Office
- Negotiates commitments on deliverables from Provost’s Office and ensures their timely delivery
- Reviews and edits materials to ensure appropriate coordination within the Provost’s organization