Shipping & Receiving Coordinator (5063C) - ERSO
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/30/21
The Engineering Research Support Organization (ERSO) supports 220+ faculty affiliated with 22 campus-wide departments, schools and colleges, with over $84 million in annual research expenditures, and over 5.7 million in annual administrative operating budget. The total research expenditures administered by the unit represent 16% of campus-wide research expenditure volume. The mission of ERSO is to provide an integrated and effective research administrative center to support and encourage healthy growth in the College of Engineering research enterprise.
The Shipping & Receiving Coordinator, within ERSO Business Services, performs a variety of services for the ERSO involved in receiving, storing, accounting for, and distributing equipment, apparatus, materials, and supplies. This role also assists in the equipment inventory tracking and responsible for providing enterprise-wide distribution services to faculty, staff and students located currently in 6 different campus buildings, and to a large, currently splintered, complex instructional laboratory program. Commodities include, but are not limited to highly specialized research equipment and supplies, fabricated apparatus, computers, software applications, furniture and office supplies. The S & R Coordinator utilizes both powered and non-powered materials handling equipment as required.
45% EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLY RECEIVING:
- The Stores Worker receives equipment, apparatus, supplies and materiels from a variety of outside vendors and campus service departments. The incumbent unloads trucks, vans, or cars and moves these deliveries using a forklift or hand dolly to specified areas. The Stores Worker checks incoming material against invoices to verify items and quantities to ensure that orders are complete and inspects deliveries for damage. Coordinates freight claims; help to track all inventoried equipment.
- The Stores Worker creates an electronic receipt in BearBuy or the ERSO Intranet that accurately reflects the quantities and items listed on the packaging slip. Additionally, they enter every package into our in-house tracking system, WITS, apply a barcode label and image the packaging slip for future audit compliance.
- The Stores Worker resolves simple routine problems in receiving. The Stores Worker will address incorrect or damaged shipments. The Stores Worker arranges for shipment returns and/or credits.
- Verifies the status of received orders. Communicates with research lab users and venders concerning problems of incomplete or returned shipments. Ships return or exchange orders. Compares shipping options and costs for the most efficient and cost effective means of shipment. Packages items appropriately and safely. Communicates with the materiel management team and partners to resolve past due invoices or invoice discrepancies as necessary.
- Keeps the Shipping and Receiving Supervisor informed of issues, problems, or potential problems as resolution is sought. Maintains files on open request in and organized manner, and tracks all shipment related documents.
- Partners with the other Storekeeper and supervisor when and if necessary and performs all duties mindful of safety guidelines and injury prevention.
45% EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLY DISTRIBUTION:
- Distribute and delivery of items received. Investigate, when necessary, to determine final destination of orders. Use forklift if necessary, and may be required to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Maintains the chain of custody.
- Logs all material movements is WITS.
5% HANDLING COMPRESSED GAS CYLINDERS:
- Receives, stores, and distributes compressed gas cylinders, which include flammable, toxic and corrosive gasses. Attends all the necessary safety courses offered through the Berkeley Campus Office of Environment Health and Safety.
5% OTHER DUTIES AS ASSISGNED:
- Participates in the materiel management team meetings and contributes to the overall process improvement efforts.
- Provides recommendations or suggestions to Shipping and Receiving supervisor on ways to enhance the shipping and receiving function in ERSO.
- Secure workspace prior to leaving at end of shift
- Assist Shipping & Receiving Lead in removal & moving of items to excess & salvage.
- Shipping and Receiving unit experience in a comparable fast-pace business environment is highly desired.
- Meet tight deadlines.
- Maintain a regular attendance schedule demonstrating timelines and dependability.
- Demonstrate excellence in customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Effective people and communication skills to work with a diverse client base.
- Work in a fast paced and changing environment in a new team setting.
- Working knowledge of computer office software, primarily scanning and email use.
- Enter data into several different systems at a rate of 30+ wpm.
- Must be able to lift 70 pounds.
- Receive in BearBuy as required.
- Become forklift certified and operate a forklift, as needed.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
- Starting salary commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21100&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency