IT Manager Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
College of Communication and Information
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
- Manages CCI Help Desk responsible for the supervision of IT personnel, maintenance and upkeep of various computer systems operating systems and hardware. Creates and advises on long-term strategies for growth and development of the IT infrastructure. Ensures the team follows best practices for the maintenance of servers, hardware, and other related equipment. Oversees and manages security of information for Communication Science and Disorders.
- Assesses Help Desk operations and performance. Recognizes/analyzes poor performance and practices. Develops and implements solutions and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Identifies, researches, and resolves complex information system and technical problems. Manages and helps implement new systems and processes.
- Oversees and participates in routine distributed system support for the college, which includes but is not limited to acquiring hardware and software, installation and configuration of software, and maintaining and ensuring that all hardware and software is secure. This includes servers, classrooms, administration, faculty, graduate students, and clinic systems.
- Assesses CCI IT level. Evaluates IT trends, new products, and services. Coordinates and recommends changes to IT personnel, faculty, staff, and administrators. Provides recommendations and coordinates changes to existing products or services. These responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting in procurement of systems and services and serving as subject matter expert for operating systems and desktop support.
- Virtualization management using virtual machine management and reporting tools for HIPAA virtual machines. Provides distance learning IT support for faculty and students via screen sharing, video, and voice conferencing. Ensures HIPAA compliance (HIPAA best practices). Maintains network security guidelines. Maintains disaster recovery plan for offsite backups relating to HIPAA documents. Configures and manages encrypted HIPAA backup solutions using backup software.
- Configures and manages network hardware including firewalls, switches, and printers within a HIPAA compliance environment. Configures and manages virtual machines for offsite research purposes. Configures and manages Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system for the Speech and Hearing Clinic. Configures and manages specialized Speech and Hearing software for faculty and students.
- Oversees and participates in specialized security and software support to SCSD, Seminole Productions, and Media Productions.
- Configures and manages computer labs and specialized Speech Software for students. Manages HIPAA compliance video system for onsite and distance learning.
- Supervises and mentors IT interns.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS, or other appropriate degree and four years' experience or a high school diploma/equivalency and eight years of experience. Note: Higher education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.
- Ability to convey technical information to technical and non-technical users.
- Ability to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Ability to document existing and new processes.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Knowledge of applicable computer software and operating systems including Mac OS, Windows, Window Server, Veeam, and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of standard programming languages, concepts, practices, and procedures within the technology field.
- Valid Florida or Georgia driver's license or the ability to obtain upon hire.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
If not otherwise specified, schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.