Internal AuditorPosition Number:
00037603Working Position Title:
Internal AuditorPosting Type:
Internal AuditPrimary Function:
This position requires knowledge of accounting, auditing, management, and information systems to perform audits that are general and more routine in nature. The primary function of the position is: Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
1. To plan and execute audits of assigned organizational and functional activities of the University in accordance with the professional standards and code of ethics promulgated by the Internal Audit Advisory Board established by the Fiscal Control and Internal Auditing Act of the State of Illinois.
2. To evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the financial and administrative controls over those activities.
3. To determine whether organizational units within the University are operating in compliance with management instructions, applicable University and Board of Trustees polices and procedures, and in a manner consistent with federal and state laws and regulations.
4. To report audit findings and to make recommendations for the correction of unsatisfactory conditions, improvements in operations, and reductions in cost.
5. To assist in the performance of special reviews at the request of management.
6. To direct and supervise the activities of other auditors, as assignments require.
This position plans the audit, examines and evaluates information, communicates results, and follows up on corrective actions taken. The relative proportions of time devoted to these components vary with each assignment. Audit activities include a focus on financial, operational, or compliance, as well as, internal consulting. Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
This position examines and evaluates University accounting, operating, and information systems to assist management with regard to:
1. Adequacy and effectiveness of University fiscal and administrative controls.
2. Reliability and integrity of information provided to management.
3. Safeguarding of assets.
4. Compliance with established procedures and laws.
5. Efficient use of resources.
6. Identification of risk areas.
7. Accomplishment of University objectives and goals.
8. Prevention and detection of fraud.
1. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling three (3) years (36 months), from the categories below:Education and Experience Preferred:
(a) College course work in information technology, accounting, business administration, finance, or a closely related field
· 60 semester hours equals 1 year (12 months)
· 90 semester hours equals 2 years (24 months)
· 120 semester hours equals 3 years (36 months)
(b) Progressively more responsible experience that provides a knowledge of generally accepted principles, theories, and practices used in internal auditing
NOTE: Possession of a Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified Information Systems Security Professional certificate or a Certified Public Accountant certificate satisfies all the training/experience requirements of this class.
1. Auditing experience preferred. List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
2. CIA or CPA certification preferred.
The position requires an adaptability, to learn quickly and understand the critical operations of the activity being audited; an understanding of people, to be able to enlist their cooperation and to work with them in many different contexts; a determination, to carry through the most difficult assignments to a successful conclusion; objectivity, to avoid injecting personal bias into findings and recommendations and to keep findings in proper perspective; initiative, to undertake new tasks and to uncover and investigate exceptions; communication skills, to convey audit objectives, evaluations, conclusions, and recommendations, both orally and in writing, at all operating and administrative levels of the university, from the clerical staff to the President and members of university senior leadership.Working Hours:
M-F, 8:00am-4:30pm, but flexibleMinimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$3466.13 per monthHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
07/30/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Required writing sample should be in the form of a letter to management making recommendations.Link to Department Homepage:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10).
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Internal Auditor for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Internal Audit DepartmentEEO Statement:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Is Background Check Required:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: