Post-Doctoral Researcher #442670FTE:
CommensurateJob Summary/Basic Function:
Job Summary: Lamar University invites application for a postdoctoral researcher in the Center for Resiliency at Lamar University. The successful candidate is expected to work with the faculty, principal investigators, and undergraduate/graduate students in the Center to lead research activities, collect and analyze data of complex natures, draft manuscripts for publication and contribute to the university’s teaching mission. The ideal candidates for this position are individuals who have excellent communication skills and are self-motivated and interested in developing a successful academic career. The preferred areas of expertise can include but not limited to: water resources and hydrologic modeling, flood and disaster mitigation, response or recovery, geospatial modeling of infrastructure and the interaction of infrastructure and human populations emerging pollutants with the environment and disasters, both natural and man-made.Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
Essential Job Functions:
1. Conduct and lead research and development in collaboration with faculty and students.
2. Assists in writing research findings for scientific reports and peer-reviewed journal articles; researches proposals to continue and/or extend research work; participates in extension and outreach activities as need by the program; assists other researchers associated with the Center. 3. Assists in achieving the university’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and service.
4. Participates in developing, updating, and revising standards for data management and assessment of sustainability and resiliency indicators for various research endeavors and systems. 5. Assistance with outreach activities to the communities and agencies interacting with the Center for Resiliency.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the university.
Minimum Education Required: Doctoral degree in civil or environmental engineering, or closely related engineering field with a proven record of publications in peer-reviewed journals. EEO Statement:
Minimum Experience Required:
· Experience in water resource engineering or hydrology modeling
· Experience in academic course preparation and delivery
· Experience in applying first-principle and/or statistical models for assessing engineering systems
• Strong track record of refereed journal publications,
• Highly motivated with strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and communicate proactively.
• Ability to communicate both orally and in writing and efficiently execute multiple assignments/projects concurrently.
• Familiarity with ArcGIS and data management protocols.
Physical Requirements: With or without accommodation. Will require an individual to perform office duty for 40 hours per week. Some activities could involve applicant to work with international students. Will frequently be required to perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, speak clearly have adequate listening comprehension.
Job Conditions: This position may require occasional evening and/or weekends to meet university and departmental needs.
Lamar Expectation of Quality: Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, and timely responses and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Lamar Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.Disclaimer:
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change. Lamar University reserves the right to revise, change or eliminate this job description at any time.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to the needs of the university.
This Job Description is not intended to be a contract of employment or a legal document. Employment with Lamar University is at will, and may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this Job Description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Lamar University employees.Open Date:
07/16/2021Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
This position will be housed in the Center for Resiliency.Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: