Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
009619NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
High Voltage Distribution Specialist - AdvancedWorking Title:
High Voltage Distribution SpecialistSalary Range:
$33,076 - $59,753Anticipate Hiring Range:
$33,076 - $56,477FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
FM Electrical ShopWork Schedule:
6:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.; Monday – Friday Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions.
This is a High Voltage Generator Technician (Mechanical Trades) at the Advanced level with a specialty in generators and automatic transfers switches. Minimum Education/Experience:
This position will be one of the two technicians to handle the approximately 64 existing generators on the University that are life safety systems worth $30m in replacement cost.
The position is considered to be a fully functioning in the high voltage trade area, and is expected to be able to perform all general maintenance work as required.
Tasks may include maintenance, repair, placement, fabrication, installation, alteration, construction and design of facility components in assigned zone or core maintenance.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
High school diploma or equivalency and six months of electrical experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
University Preferred Qualifications:
High school diploma and four years of electrical experience, including all phases of high voltage distribution operations; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must maintain required certifications.
1. Execute Prime Mover maintenance for fixed generators of all sizes, electrical characteristics, and locations around campus. Other Work Responsibilities:
2. Provide verification of electrical output and electrical characteristics.
3. Install and or supervise load bank procedures.
4. Carry out complex switching procedures for the existing MV distribution system.
5. Install and troubleshoot electrical distribution and branch circuit systems.
6. Read and interpret drawings.
7. Possess knowledge of NFPA 70E safety awareness, NFPA 70 electrical code knowledge and NFPA 110 Generator maintenance requirements as knowledge of all are a necessary skill-set to perform this position effectively.
8. Focus primarily on generators along with the needs of all other forms of electrical work.
1. Perform on-call reporting after hours when necessary to rectify or make safe emergency requirements. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
2. Participate in team operations that often require shutdown activities on evenings and weekends.
3. Report to work during adverse weather conditions as an essential employee to meet the needs of this team as well as Facilities Operations as a whole.
4. Maintain maintenance records for generators and other equipment as required.
5. Provide knowledge on service functions for major generator manufacturer’s equipment as required.
6. Perform other duties as asssigned.
1. Certified electrical technician training programs for generator maintenance and operation (i.e. EGSA (Electrical Generator Systems Association certification). Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
2. In dept knowledge on service functions on major generator manufacturer’s equipment.
3. Electrical industry related licensees, credentials, or safety certifications.
4. Knowledge of load bank installation and procedures.
5. Experience in carrying out complex switching procedures for MV distribution systems.
6. Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel to maintain equipment maintenance records.
7. Experience acting as lead worker.
8. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation and comprehension) required.9. Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications.10. Computer literate.11. Knowledge and skill with Google Chrome, Microsoft Word and Excel, and willingness to learn new programs.12. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.13. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork. (nothing after this)14. Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
1. Requires obtaining related certification(s) and maintaining them.Work Location:
2. Valid driver’s license.
FM - Electrical ShopPosting date:
08/01/2021Proposed Hire Date:
08/30/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
* These documents are used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience. Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application. * Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section. If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment). * Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from consideration, but it may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and experience.