Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
009493NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Specialty Trades Technician - AdvancedWorking Title:
Air Side TechnicianSalary Range:
$52,991 - $66,723Anticipate Hiring Range:
$52,991 - $63,065FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
FM HVAC ShopWork Schedule:
8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Monday – FridayPrimary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions.
This position will serve to help provide uninterrupted continuous operations. The incumbent will primarily work as a member of the Maintenance Operations Department to be a direct liaison to support Maintenance Operations efforts to serve the research and critical facilities on campus. This position will be responsible for reporting, documenting, following up with, and resolving all concerns of campus research and critical facilities as directed. It will serve to establish maintenance priorities and responsibilities, ensure the operational readiness, and assist with the implementation of maintenance services. It will also schedule and report on the annual operational checks of critical facility redundancy and resiliency of equipment fail overs and fail safes. This includes all infrastructure needs for all Air Side Equipment and IAQ for UNC Charlotte. Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a technical college with an Associate degree in electromechanical technology or instrumentation technology and a four years experience related to the area of assignment experience; or an equivalent combination of training and directly related experience.
1. Maintain and perform troubleshooting on air side systems for campus air side HVAC and IAQ needs and system related equipment, specifically including air supply, return, and exhaust equipment including valves, dampers, louvres, motors, and fans, controllers, sensors and drives. This also includes energy recovery systems both dynamic and passive such as variable frequency or speed drives, reciprocating, scroll, screw, and oil-less type compressors, air dryers both desiccant and refrigerant, vacuums and other associated equipment. Other Work Responsibilities:
2. Diagnose, repair, and commission the air side systems and IAQ as required.
3. Review air side system designs and inspect installation on new and existing systems.
4. Identify problems with existing air side systems and implement solutions.
5. Install duct manifolds per SMACNA guidelines, and conduct device testing to ensure safe air delivery, return, and exhaust to occupied spaces.
6. Diagnose and repair pneumatic, and DDC controllers, and related equipment and instrumentation.
6. Safely service electrical motors, drives, and controls.
7. Apply knowledge from EPA 608 certification.
8. Use HVAC experience with controls and equipment.
1. Mentor and lead other technicians to sustain and maintain HVAC air side systems. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
2. Respond to after-hours trouble calls for resolution via coming onsite to ensure problems are corrected relating to critical facilities as required.
3. Work directly with contractors and maintenance personnel to perform repairs, retrofits, upgrades or improvements to existing campus air side systems.
4. Perform work independently or in teams to accomplish daily tasks.
5. Lift a minimum of 25 pounds and climb ladders as needed.
6. Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated to support all compressed air systems and the work unit.
1. Associate’s degree in electromechanical technology or instrumentation technology and four years’ related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and directly related experience required. Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
2. Five years’ experience in troubleshooting:
a. Electrical and power transmission basics
b. AC induction motors
c. Operation, setup and maintenance of VFD
d. Bypass systems
e. Energy saving techniques
f. Program drive parameters
g. Speed, torque and horsepower relationships related to variable frequency drives
h. The effects of running motors at very low speed, above base speed and varying speeds
i. Troubleshooting and fault handling
j. Improving reliability and extending the life of motors and drives with proper install and O&M
3. Experience working with BAS systems.
4. Experience working with Phoenix Valves.
5. Experience working with research methods and laboratories including BSL 2, & 3, Vivarium, clean rooms, precision metrology, wet labs, BSL2P.
3. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing,
interpretation and comprehension) required.
4. Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications.
5. Computer literate.
6. Knowledge and skill with Google Chrome, Microsoft Word and Excel, and
willingness to learn new programs required.
7. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different
backgrounds and cultures.
8. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork.
9. Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
1. EPA 608 certifiedWork Location:
2. Valid driver’s license
FM - HVAC ShopPosting date:
08/01/2021Proposed Hire Date:
09/27/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
* These documents are used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
* Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
* Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from consideration, but it may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and experience.