Prospect Development Analyst Location:
Columbia Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
University of Missouri (MU) Office of Advancement builds meaningful relationships with the Mizzou family and friends to support and advance the University. The Office of Advancement is hiring a Prospect Development Analyst. This key role will research a wide variety of donors and alumni and supply the fundraising team with the best set of prospects interested in and capable of making a philanthropic gift to the University.
Success in this role might include:
• Identifying philanthropic prospects with a capacity to give
• Connecting alumni or donors to something that sparks excitement
• Telling a compelling story through research and documentation
• Identifying a donor for the next big project, such as Next Gen
• Being excited about new relationships
This role is guided by key responsibilities as defined by the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA) and will complete duties in the following areas:
Research and Donor Identification:
• Conduct research, both reactively and proactively, on individuals, foundation and corporate prospects, and donors. Derive gift capacity estimates for major donor prospects using available wealth indicators.
• Actively support the identification and verification of new prospects discovered through database screening and other proactive resources
• Assists development officers of each assigned College/Unit in prospect strategy development and documentation and recommends prospect assignments and quality prospect pools to development officers.
• Create profiles on major donor prospects for visits with leadership, including the Chancellor.
Cross Department Collaboration:
• Participate in meetings to determine the philanthropic priorities of the faculty and departments they support and ensure existing research procedures facilitate the movement of donors and prospects through the prospect management pipeline.
• Collaborate with fundraisers and school/college/Dean's staff on major gift strategies and serve as liaison between Colleges/Units development officers and Advancement Services. Reviews contact reports of each development officer in each assigned College/Unit for updates to prospect plans and strategies
• Active participation in professional development to learn latest best practices in prospect research and monitor the philanthropic environment.
Data Reporting and Maintenance:
• Provide metrics that help fundraisers efficiently manage their prospect portfolios.
• Enhance the donor database with updated career information and indications of wealth.
• Work guided by a code of ethics outlined by APRA to ensure all research activities performed are legal, ethical and appropriate.
Salary Range: $19.47 –$30 per hour
GGS Grade: 9
University Title: SENIOR ADVANCEMENT ASSOCIATE
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm; This position will be based in Columbia, MO. Remote working arrangements may be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates.
A Bachelor's degree and at least 1 year of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
The most successful candidate will be someone that possesses experience with research methodology and practice, someone with an understanding of the principles of philanthropy and fundraising, and someone with the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of University staff at varying levels.
• Bachelor's Degree and two years of related experience
• Excellent electronic research, report writing skills, and strong analytical skills
• Experience using specialized search tools such as Lexis-Nexis, LiveAlumni, iWave, Donorscape and Microsoft Office software, especially Word and Excel
• Knowledge and familiarity with fundraising terminology, prospect research and relationship management practices
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with a strong work ethic
• Experience constructing and executing database queries
• Excellent customer service attitude with the ability to work with a variety of people
• Accuracy and attention to detail with excellent project and time management skills
Founded in 1839, the University of Missouri is the oldest public university west of the Mississippi River. MU provides all the benefits of two universities in one: It is a major land-grant institution with a statewide mission of service to citizens, as well as, Missouri's largest public research university. Considered one of the nation's top-tier institutions, Mizzou is one of only 34 public universities, and the only public institution in Missouri, to be selected for membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities.
Mizzou Advancement emphasizes talent acquisition and professional development in service to our overall mission of enhancing private support of the University of Missouri. As a result, the division continues to attract top talent from around the country. Comprising 180 staff members with a presence across the United States and around the world, Mizzou Advancement announced the $1.3 billion Mizzou: Our Time to Lead campaign in October 2015. At its conclusion in 2020, it was the most successful philanthropic campaign in the University's history, at over $1.4 billion.
At Mizzou Advancement, we celebrate our diverse community of donors, alumni, staff, and friends. We are committed to taking bold steps to create an inclusive culture where everyone is seen, heard, and valued. Our team is continually learning and growing on our journey to embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. We believe that diversity of views, informed by a breadth of life experiences, help us to understand our humanity more deeply and improve our service to mankind. Our efforts to be inclusive must be intentional and thoughtful, so that we might realize the full benefit of the diversity we seek to build within Advancement. Together we are stronger. Together we are better. Together we are Mizzou Advancement
Columbia Missouri Information
Columbia, Mo., is known as an ideal college town, combining small-town comforts, community spirit and low cost of living with big-city culture, activities and resources. Home to nationally renowned public schools and other colleges and educational centers, Columbia is packed with restaurants and entertainment venues and hosts more than a dozen annual cultural festivals.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: