Job no: 509339
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: VC-University Advancement
Pay Grade: 18
Date opened: 16 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 26 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Under the direction of the Director of Alumni Engagement, the Alumni Engagement Coordinator manages the day-to-day operations of the Alumni Engagement Office and provides direct administrative support to the Director of Alumni Engagement as well as the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Alumni Engagement, and will independently oversee the operations and activities pertaining to Alumni Engagement in the absence of the Director and Assistant Vice Chancellor. The incumbent will be responsible for all purchasing and financial record keeping for the Alumni Engagement unit and will manage the travel plans, expenses and reconciliation for all members of the unit. The Coordinator will assist with running event-related activities for alumni and university constituencies, including reunions and regional events. The Alumni Engagement Coordinator is also responsible for processing and monitoring the replacement diploma program and the alumni membership program, and will manage and reconcile the revenue account using the University’s finance tools. This position requires extensive work with outside vendors as well as procurement to ensure compliance for services and goods obtained. The incumbent will be responsible for processing expenses and tracking, creating requisitions through Buy-Ways, tracking payments/processing invoices through A/P, journalizing expenses when appropriate, maintaining Procard Activity Log (PAL) and reallocating procard expense to correct account, and processing travel card and employee expense reimbursement, all in accordance with university policy.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Alumni Engagement as well as Assistant Vice Chancellor of Alumni Engagement; prepare a wide variety of correspondence and reports, including drafting memos/letters and emails to alumni and other constituents, collecting notes for alumni publications, taking board minutes for the Alumni Association Board and Young Alumni Council meetings; reviewing reunion class data; receive and direct internal and external phone and e-mail inquiries regarding alumni engagement and communications and when necessary, field inquiries to appropriate staff person;
- Execute a variety of support tasks crucial to the efficient operation of the Alumni Office; ensure the Alumni Office runs smoothly by working collaboratively and performing other activities that support the Alumni Engagement function as assigned by the Director or Assistant Vice Chancellor; respond promptly to internal and external inquiries to provide information concerning development and alumni activities;
- Schedule board meetings and individual alumni meetings on behalf of the Director and Assistant Vice Chancellor, both on and off campus, and coordinate information to be presented at such meetings;
- Create a master calendar of all alumni events scheduled and assist Director of Alumni Engagement with planning and execution of alumni-focused event-related activities for alumni, including reunions and special events, and other University constituencies; schedule time and location and reserve required facilities, checking the availability of parties involved and ordering food, supplies and other necessary materials and equipment; create mail and email merges for letters of invitation for specific events; coordinate and track RSVP list for events and prepare name tags; place cards, menu cards, and directional signage;
- Assist with staffing plans for events, maintain correspondence between volunteer staff and department, provide details and guidance regarding volunteer duties;
- Serve as administrator of financial services to the Alumni Engagement office for personal, travel, and other office expenses, to include the staff of Alumni Engagement, Donor Engagement/Stewardship, College Engagement, and Communications; process travel plans, including assisting in securing airfare and hotel accommodations and prepare and process appropriate paperwork associated with travel; reconcile travel and expense transactions and reimbursements in the on-line expense module in accordance with university policies;
- Serve as purchasing administrator for the purchasing of small commodities for the Alumni Engagement Office; reconcile monthly procurement credit card statements to adhere to and comply with university policies and procedures; manage the travel card and all employee reimbursements, recharge appropriate account for items purchased to ensure a balanced budget and to adhere to and comply with university policies and procedures; maintain all documentation related to purchases to ensure proper documentation for audit purposes;
- Responsible for entering and tracking purchase orders to completion on PeopleSoft Finance system and ensuring that invoices are paid in a timely manner; maintain inventory levels of supplies and ordering needed supplies for Alumni Engagement unit; maintain up-to-date financial reports of purchasing activities;
- Communicate with vendors and event partners on a regular basis to ensure that all needs are met and to ensure the success of the event; responsible for receiving all invoices and receipts associated with the event and ensure proper payment to vendors and/or location;
- Process and monitor the replacement diploma program, and the alumni membership program, including assisting with the management of the benefits, services and affinity programs associated with alumni membership;
- Collect, monitor and report revenue associated with alumni membership, replacement diploma and event related activity to Finance and Advancement Services area in a timely manner; track and reconcile event revenue (credit cards/checks) via PeopleSoft and Summit;
- Work with Advancement Services to ensure that alumni biographical information is up-to-date and recorded in the department CRM;
- Process student/temporary payroll and review payroll encumbrances to ensure adequate funding for the duration of hiring period; inform the Director of Alumni Engagement when work study allocation for the students is becoming low so the Director of Alumni Engagement can determine whether institutional funds are available; create e-PAF forms for new and returning students; manage work study students by assigning daily tasks and workflow and ensuring proper completion of assigned duties;
- Compile data for use in reporting alumni activities by utilizing social media and other web-based tools; assist with the development and tracking of surveys to measure event success; research, review and analyze survey and other data and prepare departmental reports using that data;
- Independently oversee the operations of the Alumni Engagement Office in the absence of the Assistant Vice Chancellor and Director of Alumni Relations;
- Work directly with external vendors in the solicitation and review of bids for goods and services related to events and other office activities and projects;
- Work on special projects assigned by the Assistant Vice Chancellor and Director of Alumni Engagement, as needed;
- Assist Director of Alumni Engagement and Advancement Communications with email and website editing and creation of event or news submissions;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants are required to have at least five years of full-time professional experience in alumni relations or development operations and proficient experience in planning and coordinating events. Experience with office management, office administration, business administration or business management required. Experience in higher education preferred but not required. The incumbent will be required to work evening and/or weekend hours to support the office in special events and meetings.
- Demonstrated interest in alumni relations, event planning, or a closely related field preferred.
- Experience working with web and email platforms, such as iModules software preferred.
- Experience working with fundraising and alumni engagement CRM systems.
- Experience working with high-level officials, such as executive leadership, alumni, donors and prospects preferred.
- Experience with budgeting, purchasing, reconciling accounts, and vendor relations preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other administrative software applications, including desktop publishing;
- Proficiency in using social media, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn platforms;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management;
- Demonstrated ability to proofread newsletters, correspondence and website details for accuracy, grammar and spelling;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently, working both under supervision and independently;
- Ability to prepare general reports, charts, graphs and tables;
- Ability to determine proper format and procedures for assembling items of information;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team with both individuals from within and outside the university;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and work with confidential and time sensitive information and materials;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to work in a fast paced work environment;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical, organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills, with the ability to provide complex, confidential administrative support in a high-profile environment with tact and diplomacy;
- Professional demeanor when working with alumni, campus partners and other constituents;
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to work across a variety of projects with diverse constituencies;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional work references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Hourly Rate: $27.17
This is a non-exempt position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Applications close: 26 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time