Assistant RegistrarABOUT SMC
Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Assistant Registrar Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
Organizational Responsibilities:The Assistant Registrar reports to and is supervised by the College Registrar
Job Summary:The Assistant Registrar is involved in all aspects of the work of the Registrar’s Office, including but not limited to making decisions and finding solutions to inquiries made by students, faculty and staff concerning all academic matters. The position requires the use of sound independent judgment and the ability to work both independently and as a member of the Registrar’s Office team. The Assistant Registrar must maintain strict confidentiality of student records and ensure that students and visitors will be treated with dignity and respect and that all aspects of the office work will be accomplished with the highest professional standards.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Have knowledge of academic policy as it relates to students, including but not limited to placement, probation, suspension, honors, degree requirements, etc.
- Serve as a contact person in the Registrar’s Office for information requested by faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
- Be able to enter, search, maintain, and retrieve information from the CAMS data base, including grade entry, to ensure accuracy in each student’s permanent computerized academic record.
- Assist as a liaison with officers of transfer institutions to maintain course articulation agreements.
- Assist with scheduling and building course schedules for each semester.
- Be familiar with and be able to comply with reporting required by SMC, agencies, and federal and state government reports.
- Process applications for graduation and follow-up work (ordering diplomas, prepare graduation program, etc.)
- Assure that confidential information handled by this office is not disclosed to unauthorized persons.
- Attend to other responsibilities as assigned by the Registrar.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong customer service skills with the ability to meet and serve the public, both in person and by telephone or email, tactfully and effectively.
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze and present complex data.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise complete confidentiality of records.
Working Conditions:The work is performed in an office environment. At times, due to the nature of the work, duties may have to be performed in the evening or on the weekends (orientations, graduations.)
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand and move around the campus.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity are needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
Education and Experience:Bachelor’s Degree required, and related work in higher education desired.HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a letter of interest, resume and list of three (3) references to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to [email protected]
- Application open until filled.
FLSA: Fulltime, Exempt
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.