Graduate Programs SpecialistPosition Type:
20171041Full or Part Time:
Full TimeEmployee Status :
07/15/2021Job Description Summary:
The Graduate Program Specialist is responsible for the operational management of the graduate office for Chapman University School of Pharmacy. This includes managing all student advising, progressions, and degree completion for all masters and PhD programs. The Graduate Program Specialist is the liaison between graduate students and faculty, acting as a central resource regarding all academic processes Responsibilities:
Support Student Academics:
Support Student Administration:
- Interprets and enforces graduate policies and graduate program requirements, specifically those related to curriculum and administrative processes such as attendance, graduation, internship and employment opportunities in local industry.
- Provide guidance on services available to graduate students such as academic support, student financial services, scholarships, and student organizations.
- Maintains awareness for issues related to international students and advises/refers as appropriate, including but not limited to visas, immigration, housing, and general support for ESL students.
- Assist students with academic, as well as personal issues impacting their success, referring them to appropriate resources as necessary.
Monitors student progress and determines follows up needed with the students and their advisors to support student success.
Manage daily administrative operations:
- Maintaining graduate student records.
- Develop and implement new graduate student orientation, including room and AV reservations, catering, signage, and preparing materials for distribution.
- Coordinate with OSA on school wide orientation events.
- Seeking internship opportunities for students in local industry.
- Represent the School of Pharmacy and/or University with outside audiences in the community to promote the graduate program.
- Manage components of the incoming graduate student whitecoat event, including ordering and distribution of white coats. Liaise with Research staff and faculty and Dean’s office to manage lab coat supply account.
- Responsible for processing incoming student key card access.
Liaise with other departments to problem-solve issues related to course registration, student business accounts, scholarships, financial aid, and key card access .
- Administer application processes for campus and CUSP internal scholarships and grants.
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and knowledge to handle the volume and complexity of inquiries and be an effective liaison between School and other internal and external departments.
- Participate in the development and implementation of administrative procedures as they pertain to the graduate programs including admissions, registration, scholarships, examinations, academic advising, new student orientation, and events.
- Manage the hiring process of graduate student employees and sign time sheets.
- Create and maintain website content for graduate program and research websites in content management system.
- MS and PhD representative for campus-wide Graduate Coordinator meetings, and Marketing meetings.
- Create, edit, and proofread correspondence and marketing materials for the graduate program.
- Serving as a liaison with other campus departments.
- Provide administrative support to Graduate Program and Research Committee, including minutes, agenda preparation, and scheduling meetings.
- Order office supplies when needed.
- Assist the Dean’s Office with special projects as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree and two years of experience in graduate program, admissions or other related field within a US accredited university
- Experience working with International students and resolving problems with an acute awareness for their needs.
- Experience in academia as the Graduate Program Administrator or as a similar capacity in handling graduate program applications or working with graduate students.
Working knowledge of graduate admission and/or graduate program coordination
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships
- Ability to effectively addressing and manage conflict.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other interdisciplinary roles and cultivate inter-professional relationships.
- Ability to mentor educators and students
- Strong analytical and organizational skills to sort and prioritize deadlines and work within the Office to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands.
- Ability to travel to and from events when needed
- Technical skills to learn and use enterprise and department systems and tools
- Ability to learn about Chapman University and CUSP’s missions, goals and processes, and represent them in a positive and convincing manner
- Experience in collecting/reviewing/analyzing student related data
- Computer skills in the use of Microsoft Office Suite applications and internet tools
- Understanding of current marketing and student recruitment tools
- Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Master’s Degree from a U.S. accredited university or equivalent combination of education and professional experience in graduate program, admissions, or other related functions
Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment for the final candidate is contingent upon satisfactory completion of and outcomes of a criminal background screening, DMV driving clearance, and upon the acceptance of and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.
Some evening and weekend work hours