Student Services Officer 2
School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford, California, United States
The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is the center of a world-class liberal arts education at Stanford University. H&S encompasses 23 departments—from Art and Art History, English, and History to Economics, Mathematics, and Biology—as well as 23 interdisciplinary programs. As the university's largest school, H&S serves as the foundation of a Stanford undergraduate education no matter which discipline students pursue as a major. Graduate students work alongside world-renowned faculty to pursue and shape foundational research that leads to breakthroughs and discoveries that shed new light on the past, influence the present, and shape the future. Together, faculty and students in H&S engage in inspirational teaching, learning, and research every day.Department/Program Description:
The Department of Art & Art History comprises 27 regular faculty, a staff of 15, and offers three graduate degree programs—a PhD in Art History (including Film & Media Studies) and MFAs in Art Practice and Documentary Filmmaking—and three undergraduate majors/minors. Approximately 50 graduate students are actively enrolled, with an additional number writing dissertations away from campus.Position Summary:
Lead and manage program(s) or function(s) under minimal supervision. Administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Works on problems of diverse complexity (size, degree, focus, expertise, breadth, impact) where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Networks with senior internal and external contacts in own area of expertise and outside own area of expertise.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations (DFO), the Student Services Officer (SSO) is responsible for all departmental student services functions, with direct oversight of graduate programs and student progress. The SSO works closely with the DFO, the department chair, and the Director of Graduate Studies for each program, and is the department's liaison to external units including the School's GUS Office, Student Affairs, and the Office of Accessible Education. The SSO supervises the Student Services Specialist, to whom undergraduate services are delegated, serving as expert consultant and providing direction, performance feedback, and coaching. The SSO will administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. They will identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment. Specific responsibilities include advising individual students, coordinating financial aid packages and all related entries in GFPS and GFS, managing admissions processes, coordinating student research and travel grants, administering appointments of TAs, oversight of annual departmental events including Commencement, Prospective Graduate Admissions Weekend, and Incoming Graduate Orientations, and ensuring the accuracy and currency of Graduate Student Handbooks and offers of admission. A resume and cover letter describing your qualifications are required to be considered for this position.
If you believe that this opportunity is a match for your knowledge, skills and abilities, we encourage you to apply. Thank you for considering employment opportunities with the School of Humanities and Sciences.In this role, you will:
- Administer an area or program in student services, evaluate and recommend decisions on program eligibility. Review decisions recommended by other staff.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve program issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues. May be tasked with evaluating and recommending program improvements.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Provide guidance and counsel, oversee and develop a wide range of programs and services, analyze effectiveness and make recommendations for future programs.
- Reconcile complex issues; analyze diverse transactions from multiple sources.
- Summarize data from multiple sources, prepare manage reports and presentations.
- Identify and evaluate data needs, manage the implementation and development of technology.
- Develop and implement plans for outreach efforts, develop and maintain external community and university liaison represent department and university at meetings and events.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions. May have to escalate issues to a senior advisor.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities, make recommendations and may award grants.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to students and other departments; represent unit/department.
- Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices and organizational change to improve processes and workflow.
- May oversee, analyze and assist in financial processes and development of budgets.
- Serve as a key member of a project team.
- May train and supervise other staff, volunteers and temporary workers.
* - Other duties may also be assigned To be successful in this role, you will bring:Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Certifications and Licenses:
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.WORKING CONDITIONS: WORK STANDARDS:
Why Stanford is for You
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of this job are covered by this job posting. A full job description will be shared during the interview process.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency