Life Science Research Professional 2
The Department of Genetics at Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 2 to join the Stanford Metabolic Health Center (MHC). With this initiative, we aim to transform healthcare by generating and leveraging deep molecular profiling for early detection of diseases, drug response monitoring and understanding undiagnosed diseases in kids and newborns. One goal of this work is to detect metabolic abnormalities early to initiate precise management so that the child can be saved from lifelong complications. We are a multi-disciplinary group and world leaders in multi-omics research applied to the field of precision medicine.
As a member of the MHC multi-disciplinary scientific team, you will collaboratively design and conduct LC-MS experiments (automated sample preparation, data analysis) using the latest mass spectrometry instrumentation and perform biological interpretation of the results using a combination of the latest computational approaches. You will also lead method development and optimization efforts to improve our workflows. Your expertise will provide a significant contribution to the scientific and technological direction of the Center. You will work within a highly interdisciplinary team uniting biomedical investigators, analytical chemists, biologists and bioinformaticians and participate in highly collaborative, cutting-edge research at the forefront of modern biology.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of biomedical investigators, analytical chemists, biologists and bioinformaticians and conduct metabolomics and lipidomics research for the Stanford Metabolic Health Center as well as various internal and external collaborative projects.
- Work independently, and collaboratively with scientists, to perform a wide range of routine and specialized LC-MS experiments.
- Develop and optimize metabolomics and lipidomics methods including automated sample preparation protocols as well as LC-MS methods.
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot basic laboratory instrumentation, liquid handling automation and LC-MS instruments.
- Perform processing, statistical analysis and interpretation of high content datasets.
- Communicate recent experimental results and areas for optimization to an internal multidisciplinary team.
- Document results of analyses and investigations in a reproducible manner and communicate insights to internal team.
- Master's degree and 1+ years of academic or industrial experience or bachelor's degree with 3+ years of academic or industrial experience in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, or related scientific field
- Experience with operation, maintenance and troubleshoot of LC-MS machines
- Experience in biological sample preparation for bioanalysis and automation
- Strong understanding of the biology of cellular metabolism and/or lipid biochemistry
- Strong scientific skills: hypothesis generation, experiment planning and data analysis
- Exceptional attention to details with a focus on generating the highest quality data
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Meticulous record keeping and organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate experiments with co-workers is essential.
- Experience with metabolomics and/or lipidomics method development and optimization using high resolution and triple quad instruments
- Experience analyzing complex biological samples via mass spectrometry
- Ability to code for data analysis in Python or R
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field and two years of relevant work experience; or Master's degree in a related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency