Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach, are a student at heart, and believe that community engagement happens around food, we’d love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion for serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, wellness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop innovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award-winning food program is based on scientific and evidence-based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are prepared by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients.
We invite you to be part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything.
The Food Service Worker is responsible for performing numerous tasks relative to cold food preparation, service and ware-washing. Specific functions include preparation of cold foods utilizing standardized recipes, setting up the dining rooms and servery, serving food, busing tables, and proper garbage disposal and sanitation procedures.
- Responsible for all levels of customer service and for maintaining the kitchen and stations in a clean, safe and orderly fashion.
- May assist in hot food production at the direction of a cook or RFSW during peak demand or for training purposes.
- Prepares items as requested by customers.
- Participates in taking, observing and recording food temperatures and equipment temperatures in accordance with HACCP policies and principles.
- Maintains the kitchen, kitchen equipment, and related areas in a safe and sanitary condition at all times. Reports any safety and sanitation hazards.
- Adheres to the policy of “clean as you go”.
- Assists in daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Maintains the storage areas utilizing proper storage techniques, including enforcing a FIFO (first-in/first –out) policy for all food products.
- Is familiar with all food preparation procedures including the regular use of standardized recipes.
- Breaks down food items at the end of each day’s final meal period and properly stores them.
- Covers, labels, and dates all leftover food for storage.
- Alerts management to products, which are spoiled or otherwise inedible.
- Set up serving area prior to service according to established line set-up procedures and New Jersey State Health Codes and Regulations.
- Serves customers from a variety of food stations as assigned.
- Maintains neat appearance of service lines throughout meal including appropriate garnishing.
- Safely operates the dish machine to wash and clean all service ware being sure they are completely clean and dry before returning them to service.
- Returns clean dishes, pots and pans, and utensils to appropriate areas.
- This includes sorting and inspecting silverware. Participates in taking, observing and recording equipment temperatures in accordance with HACCP policies and principles.
- Washes pots and pans and returns to proper storage areas.
- Keeps the machines and work area clean and sanitary at all times, including de-liming of machines.
- Maintains dish room and observes all New Jersey State Health Codes and Regulations.
- Reports any malfunctioning equipment to management for repair.
- Watches for any safety and/or sanitary hazards. Corrects the hazard (i.e. mopping up spills) or reports it to management for correction and follow-through.
- Performs other tasks as directed by University management.
- Six months in a commercial or institutional food service setting (Preferred, not require).
Work Schedule Requirements/Information
- This is an academic year, 50% Duty Time (20 Hr) Food Service Worker position.
- Flexibility, late nights, early mornings, weekends, holidays and work outside the unit may be required.
- The schedule may be changed due to business needs.
- This is an essential personnel position
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Flexibility with scheduling. Weekend work and work outside unit required.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to take direction and work with others.
- Must be able to learn prescribed methods.
- Must be able to work rapidly and efficiently during rush periods.
- Must be familiar with food service procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day;
- sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day, except for cashiers and card checkers who may sit for 2 – 4 hours at one time for a total of 4 – 6 hours per day;
- drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time;
- lift or carry up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead frequently (34 – 66% of the workday);
- lift or carry up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- use arms and hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 5 pounds continuously (67 – 100% of the workday) and up to 30 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday);
- bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day);
- work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc);
- possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours20.00Eligible for OvertimeYesBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period90 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredYesValid Driver's License RequiredNoUnion CodeSEU-Service Employees Inter Union #LI-GR1