Senior Dental Assistant Location:
Augusta University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Required Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with dental knowledge.
Certified Dental Assistant with one year of experience.
High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent from a recognized State or Federal accrediting organization with two years’ experience as a dental assistant.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Detail and team oriented
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Prioritize tasks, complete work and meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases
- Ability effectively interact with dental assistant, students, faculty and staff
- Good manual dexterity and the ability to lift, push and pull up to 50 pounds
- Excellent verbal/written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of 4 handed dental procedures and chair side dental assisting skills
- Ability to learn sterilization principles, procedures, equipment and patient management software
- Knowledge of dental instruments, infection control protocols, equipment, materials and methods
Preferred Qualifications Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with dental knowledge, graduation from a Certified Dental Assisting program, CPR certified and Intraoral Radiographic Certification; 2 years' experience in dental assisting in a general dentistry practice, to include previous experience mixing dental materials, taking x-rays, chair side dental assisting skills/knowledge in multiple dental disciplines such as operative, crown and bridge, removable prosthodontics, periodontics, endodontics, surgery and pediatric dentistry
1. CPR Certified
2. Training with radiological safety
3. Proficient in understanding and speaking Spanish in a clinical setting
4. Must be a certified Dental Surgical Anesthesia Assistant or obtain certification as a dental surgical anesthesia assistant within the first year of employment\
5. A minimum of two years' previous experience as a dental assistant to include previous experience mixing dental materials, taking x-rays, chair side assisting skills/knowledge in multiple dental disciplines (Prosthodontic, Oral Surgery, Esthetic, Endodontic, Pediatric, Orthodontic or Periodontics assisting)Responsibilities The Senior Dental Assistant performs extra-oral chair-side assisting duties in all phases of disciplines of dentistry in the Dental Associates clinic including emergency dentistry, restorative, pediatric, orthodontic, prosthodontics, endodontic, oral surgery, implant surgeries and periodontics assisting. Other related work will also be required which includes but is not limited to preventive and daily maintenance of dental operatory and equipment, clerical assignments, radiological and receptionist responsibilities. Performs dental laboratory duties, including but not limited to pouring and trimming molds and fabricating bleaching trays, mouth guards, splints and night guards. Serves as a liaison for patients, staff, students, residents and faculty within the Dental College. Working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment involving many different procedures in multiple dentistry disciplines. The duties include, but are not limited to: Chair Side Assistance
Assist dental students, residents and /or faculty at chair side as anticipated or required in all phases of dentistry utilizing techniques for 4 handed dentistry. Place matrix bands & wedges; Keeps area of operation clear using high speed evacuator, suction tip and irrigation, retracts tissue, tongue and cheek; Maintains aseptic condition and stabilizes tissue in surgical procedures; Itch, prime, bond for composite; CPD & FPO framework try-in; Cementation of crown & bridge; Place retraction cord; Assists with border molds; Implant Surgeries; Polish comal portion of the tooth; Place packing for dry socket; Hybrid dentures; Fabricate crowns and clean Provisionals after cementation; Follow all published guidelines regarding personal protective gear and clinical infection control protocol, i.e. Aware of the MSDS sheets handle and dispose of hazardous materials.Instruments & Instruction
Cleaning packing and maintaining instruments and equipment required, including sending to and retrieving from central sterilization as needed for daily production. Ensure all implant kits (surgical and restorative) are complete and in good working order. Prepares sterile trays for surgical procedures. Exercises skill in motivating the patient to engage in preventive dental care practices by providing instruction including demonstrations in brushing and flossing techniques, explaining the common causes of tooth decay. Answers questions for clear understanding of treatment. Laboratory Duties
Laboratory duties pouring prosthodontic models from impressions: cleaning and trimming models, boxing and waxing impressions; constructing custom impression trays, night guards, mouth guards, bleaching trays, polishing denture and prosthodontic appliances, and making bite rims. Also take face bows and mount cast with face bow to obtain proper occlusion for cast restorations and reline dentures with hard and soft materials. Radiography
Performs full range of dental radiography work. Operates dental x-ray equipment to include taking routine and specialized radiographs as requested. Take panorex, periapical occlusal, lateral, jaw and extra-oral radiographs as required. Develops and mounts radiographs into patient electronic recording Axium. Communicates with patient explaining the purpose of procedure and answers any concerns regarding dental radiographs. Other Duties -
Performs all other related duties as assigned.Shift/Salary Shift: Days/M-FPay Grade: 9Salary: $13.00/hr Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: 7/16/2021 - Until FilledConditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.Compliance with AU Confidentiality Policies:
- All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.
Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.