Job no: 509274
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Operations
Categories: Information Technology, Computer & Information Technology
Cellular Support Specialist/Clerk IV
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of the Cellular and Residential Voice Services Manager, supports enterprise cellular plan management services, including administration, order processing, and billing for the University Massachusetts at Amherst campus and is responsible for providing customer support to cellular users, including training and consultation services to department telephone coordinators and individual users.
- Creates, monitors and tracks service orders for the activation and deactivation of cellular equipment for the UMass Amherst campus via carrier-dedicated web portals, completing all associated paperwork and documentation for receipt of hardware, device and plan configurations, usage, billing and return and deactivation of cellular phones.
- Primary point of contact between the cellular carrier companies and all campus cellular users, including technical support and the coordination and reconciliation of vendor bills, and scheduling and coordination of vendor visits.
- Provides consultation and instruction to department cell phone representatives and users regarding cellular offerings, cellular devices and the use of cellular service web portals.
- Serves as the chief liaison in on-going review and cost analysis of cellular bills and usage, scrutinizing multiple carriers’ bills and communicating with carriers to resolve disputed charges, confirm credits are received and applied to the appropriate accounts, and ensure University accounts are assigned the most cost-effective plans.
- Researches and evaluates new cellular service offerings and long-term planning for campus cellular services.
- Coordinates the University’s cellular recycling program offered by the campus e-Cycle partner, which reimburses departments for donating re-usable mobile devices that are no longer needed.
- Creates and distributes related documentation, such as instructional materials, procedure manuals, and equipment/usage reports for campus users.
- Serves as backup to the Cellular and Residential Voice Services Manager during times of absence.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Performs other duties assigned by the manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent with 2 years of work experience in a customer service, cellular, or billing support role.
- Ability to function in a highly independent and organized manner, pay close attention to detail, exercise sound judgment and initiative, and handle a variety of tasks simultaneously and in a professional manner.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to maintain complex records accurately, troubleshoot problems, gather information through questioning individuals and examining records and documents.
- Ability to remain calm under times of stress, and when dealing with difficult customers.
- Proficiency with personal computers and use of business software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, web browsers, and email client software; and demonstrated capacity for continued learning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with a wide variety of people and constituencies, including both technical and non-technical staff.
- Working knowledge of cellular devices.
- Valid Driver's License.
- General understanding of the University’s cellular and Telecommunication systems, services, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the University and how various departments utilize Cellular services.
- Experience analyzing telephone and cellular bills for fraudulent and erroneous charges.
- Experience with supporting mobile devices and troubleshooting issues.
- Knowledge of carrier-dedicated web portals.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office activities.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by August 5th 2021 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time