Job no: 509253
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Health & Medical Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Works under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist. Assists in preparing and dispensing of medications, sells over-the-counter items to students and 3rd Party Plan members, and assists the pharmacists in providing direct pharmaceutical services to out-patient and Observation Unit area. Works under the supervision of the Pharmacy Manager or Assistant Manager of Pharmacy, who may assign duties, issue directives and check on performance.
- Fills prescriptions written by physicians for medications, chemicals and pharmaceutical preparations under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist.
- Prepares and maintains pharmaceutical stock in all clinic area(s).
- Prepackages medications.
- Assists the pharmacists as required.
- Communicates with pharmacy staff, patients, prescribers and other health care professionals regarding issues with prescription processing.
- Processes third party prescriptions with verification of patient eligibility and billing information.
- Submits prescription claims on previously rejected claims for pharmacy reimbursement.
- Maintains up-to-date working knowledge and understanding of pharmacy software and peripheral devices (printer, scanner, and registers, etc.)
- Assists a Registered Pharmacist in the transporting and handling of Schedule II - CVI controlled substances.
- Maintains refrigerator and freezer logs.
- Verifies medication stock and expiration in automated dispensing machine, pharmacy and clinic areas.
- Generates daily required reports for drug recalls, inventory management, billing needs and quality assurance.
- Handles daily cash transactions. (Credit Cards, U-Cards and Cash)
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School diploma or equivalent Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Formal Pharmacy Technician training, or equivalent required.
- Basic knowledge of pharmacy operations required.
- Working knowledge of patient profiles, medication orders, medical records, medical abbreviations and manufacturer's specifications.
- Working knowledge of computerized pharmacy systems required.
- Adequate math skills sufficient for calculating prescription data as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with patients, providers, and co-workers.
- Ability to accurately interpret names, numbers, codes and/or symbols and to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, policies and procedures related to pharmacy operations.
- Ability to exercise discretion with confidential patient information.
- Ability perform computerized data entry.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Able to function as a team member as well as independently.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical retail pharmacy working environment.
Full-time 37.50 hours per week, minimum 35 week position.
Qualifications Acquired on Job (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of terminology and standard abbreviations used in pharmaceutics.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in preparing pharmaceutical mixtures and solutions.
- Knowledge of the types and characteristics of drugs used in providing medical and psychiatric care.
- Knowledge of the methods followed in compounding medications and pharmaceutical preparations.
- Knowledge of safety, sanitation, sterilization and safety methods, techniques and procedures followed in pharmacy.
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques for the storage of pharmaceuticals and related supplies.
Monday – Friday, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team to meet the needs of our diverse campus community which we serve. Multilingual, multicultural and multiracial applicants encouraged to apply.
Please complete online application, submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. This position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time