Job no: 509216
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Admissions and Enrollment, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Professional Staff Union (PSU), Program Administration, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Manager of Academic Programs manages the marketing, alumni engagement, enrollment management and scheduling functions for the Communication Department degree programs and Communication continuing education offerings.
- Oversee student recruitment, marketing and communication for Communication degree programs and Communication continuing education offerings. In collaboration with department leadership, the College Director of Program Innovation and college communication staff, develop and implement marketing, recruitment and communication strategies to grow student majors and course enrollments, and support retention of current students.
- Manage alumni outreach related to academic programs and alumni/student engagement, including development and implementation of alumni/student events.
- Collaborate with College communication staff to insure appropriate website updates are made. Input event listings on website and make other web updates as necessary.
- Review and analyze enrollment data for undergraduate and graduate programs. Produce reports for the Undergraduate Program Director and Committee and Department Chair. Implement procedures and guidelines for scheduling decisions, student enrollment priority policies, administrative procedures, etc., to accomplish program objectives and goals. Confer with the Undergraduate Program Director, the Graduate Program Director, and the Department Chair to determine optimal course offerings with available resources, including tracking and confirming number of honors, general education, and Residential Academic Programs offerings.
- Create, test, and improve data collection systems for scheduling. Utilize the University scheduling system to schedule classes, meetings, and rooms on campus and advise the Chair about space considerations. Evaluate scheduling in order to determine progress and effectiveness, and to make recommendations concerning changes as needed.
- Assist departmental leadership on issues of curriculum creation and revision, including processing curriculum changes through the Faculty Senate approval system. Collect, analyze, forecast, and archive data about course offerings, enrollment, and students, and serve on College or University Committees as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Ensure smooth operation of the Department by overseeing and performing routine administrative tasks as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Science, Business Marketing, Communication or related field and one year of managerial or marketing experience in program administration required.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Broad understanding of current program marketing principals and administration.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with a high degree of independence and initiative, competent judgment and discretion.
- Advanced computer usage skills, including Microsoft Excel, Google documents, and word processing.
- Excellent ability to quickly learn and utilize student information systems.
- Advanced project management and organizational skills. Excellent problem solving skills and collaborative work style.
- Ability to carry out assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to interact effectively and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, students and off-campus constituents.
- Experience with Drupal web systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
M-F 8:30 am-5:00 pm with occasional nights and weekends.
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter, and the contact information of three (3) professional references. In their cover letters, applicants should include a diversity statement—a paragraph or two in length—that discusses the candidate’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
Review of applicants will begin on July 28, 2021, and will continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time