Job location: Smith College Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
Serve as the Assistant to the leaders in the Financial Planning & Analysis and Controllers offices, anticipating needs and resolving operational and administrative issues before they arise. Provide direct support to the Assoc. VP for Financial Planning & Analysis and the Controller, oversee calendar management, office workflow, manage office communication, meeting and activity preparation and follow-up; support projects and initiatives; oversee scheduling and event management; create and edit presentations for leadership. Identify opportunities for process improvement and efficiencies to help the office and broader team more organized and possess strong judgment and communication skills needed to interact with a variety of people and job functions.
Take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Administrative support (55%)
- Anticipate and provide for the immediate and long-term administrative and organizational needs of the Financial Planning & Analysis and the Controller offices, provide problem-solving and triage of incoming requests and issues via telephone and email
- Calendar management for area leaders
- Support leadership’s daily activities, organize preparatory materials, follow up and delegate action items; take primary responsibility for management of regular meetings and activities led by leadership
- Coordinate travel arrangements as needed
Project management support for office initiatives (20%)
- Provide project management support for office initiatives
- Assess and improve various administrative processes
- Support departmental searches and related recruiting tasks
- Support on-boarding and off-boarding of staff, ensuring new staff have appropriate equipment, accesses and accounts
- Provide customer support via Workday. Assist with documentation and trainings in system use
- Manage departmental expenses and department purchase card coding. Assist with general maintenance of departmental budget as needed
- Participate in the college’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive and welcoming work environment
Meeting and activity preparation and office communication (15%)
- Manage communications in and out of the office via paper, phone, email, including writing draft communications for the office and review of meeting materials, presentations, etc.
- Contribute to departmental websites including content creation, edits and formatting; collaborate across departments to ensure accuracy and quality of information
- Manage files, materials and calendars, daily and long-term, in collaboration with other Smith staff
- Create/edit presentations using PowerPoint or Google Slides
- Attend and represent F&A office in various organizational settings
- Other special projects and duties as assigned
- All employees are expected to participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, education, experience, certifications, licenses)
- High school degree and three to five years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced expertise with Google Apps and Microsoft Office required
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience managing websites and creating meeting materials
- Familiarity using Workday system
- Demonstrated project management, problem solving skills and management of details.
- Excellent communication skills - verbal, written, listening, and interpersonal, with demonstrated ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the department and organization.
- Flexibility and ability to function at a wide range of organizational levels.
- Maximum utilization of current technology, emotional intelligence, thriving on change, proactive focus, ability to be collaborative and self-managing and switch between the two.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools effectively. Desire and skill to assess and improve processes in the administrative area.
Please attach BOTH
a current resume and a cover letter in order for your application to be considered for this position . You may combine your resume and cover letter into a single file or attach multiple files to your application, but BE SURE you have provided all attachments BEFORE SUBMITTING your application. You will NOT be able to attach additional files after you have hit the Submit button.
Review of applications will begin
August 5, 2021Compensation Grade:
Grade M Non-exemptPosition Type:
RegularAbout Smith CollegeLocated in Northampton, MA, Smith College is one of the largest women’s colleges in the country and is dedicated to excellence in teaching and research across the liberal arts. A faculty of outstanding scholars interact with students in small classes, as advisors, and through student-faculty research projects. The College is a member of the Five College Consortium with Amherst, Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke Colleges, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Students cross-enroll and faculty cross-teach across the Five Colleges. Smith College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.