DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | Denver
Office of Veteran & Military Student Services
Transition and Support Coordinator (Student Services Intermediate Professional)
Position #709287 – Requisition #22098* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Office of Veteran & Military Student Services has an opening for a full time University Staff (unclassified) Transition and Support Coordinator position.
As Colorado’s public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research, creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver graduates gain the powerful combination of immersive classroom and real-world experience that are in demand today. The city benefits from well-educated, top talent and a new generation of knowledge that fuels the future of Denver and our region. We are CU in the City. CU Denver offers more than 100 degree programs, from the bachelor’s to the doctoral level, in the heart of downtown. Here, more than 15,000 students pursue academic programs that range from global energy management to music industry studies to criminal justice. As part of the state’s largest public university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with nearly 2,500 employees and annual economic impact of $800 million.Jobs in this career family support students' emotional and physical well-being and intellectual, cultural and social development outside the context of the formal instruction program or traditional academic unit. Functions include student counseling, career guidance, residence life, multicultural affairs, support of student activities and organizations, recreation services and intramural athletics administration. Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.Position Emphasis:
The Transition and Support Coordinator will be serving both the CU Denver and CU Anschutz campuses. Under the supervision of the Director of the Office of Veteran & Military Student Services, this position will include developing a comprehensive faculty and staff training regarding Veteran services, developing peer support programs, developing internal and external communication materials, developing and maintaining participant tracking, developing programming and workshops in coordination with other University services (ex. Career Center, Experiential Learning) to provide job readiness and transition skills. This position will be in charge of programming and support for Veteran and Military Connected students and will work with campus partners in implementing these programs.Example of Work Performed:
- Coordinate all program activities, events, and programs as it relates to transition and support of military-connected students.
- Oversee the Transition and Support team staff, to include graduate assistants student employees, and grant-funded positions.
- Serve as a resource for all military-connected students seeking education and career support and transition services.
- Coordinate and lead military-connected student orientation.
- Coordinate the mentorship aspect of the program, including, but not limited to matching new students with a peer mentor, maintaining the roster of students and professional mentors, matching them according to major (student) and career/field (mentor), and introducing/connecting the student and mentor.
- Coordinate internship and career opportunities of the program with appropriate internal programs.
- Serve as the community liaison to local businesses/corporations, veteran organizations, and community resources.
- Coordinate services with other university departments, specifically the CU Denver Experiential Learning and Career Center, and others as needed.
- Monitor student program participants as they matriculate through programs.
- Oversee the creation and continuation of all transition and support promotional materials, social media information and program website.
- Develop and lead staff and faculty training programs.
- Oversee tutoring resources and services.
- Oversee the awarding of specific military-connected student scholarships.
- Perform other duties or responsibilities regarding the program as needed.
Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $40,000 to $48,000. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above hiring range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
* Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Preferred Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in education, communication, social science, business, public administration, business administration, higher education, counseling, liberal arts, finance, accounting, human services, student affairs, or a directly related field from an accredited institution. Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- One (1) year of professional level experience working with military-connected students.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working with a diverse population of students in a non-profit or educational setting.
- A veteran of the United States Armed forces.
Diversity and Equity:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of the specific challenges facing military-connected students transitioning from the military or other institutions of higher education into a university.
- Knowledge of organizations devoted to military-connected issues including the federal government, the state government, at the local level and various associations.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Job Category:
Student ServicesPrimary Location:
Jul 15, 2021Unposting Date: