Duke Homecare & Hospice offers hospice, home health and infusion services. Hospice care is offered to terminally ill patients in their home, skilled-nursing facilities, assisted-living facilities, and at our two inpatient facilities located in Hillsborough and Durham, North Carolina.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
The LPN in the Duke HomeCare and Hospice Referral Center will work as a liaison between the hospital, doctor's office, and Duke Home Health to name just a few. Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records is extremely important to be successful in this position.
Shift: Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM; every 4 to 6 weeks, work a Saturday shift 8AM-5PM.General Description of the JobDuties and Responsibilities of this Level
Required Qualifications at this LevelEducationExperience
Provide and document direct nursing care of assigned patients under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician. Nursing care is guided by the physician orders and the nursing plan of care. Patient response to care is reported to a registered nurse for evaluation, intervention and modification of the plan of care. Assist other health care personnel in the delivery of patient care.
Assist physicians and other nursing personnel in the performance of various diagnostic procedures.
Assist in the development and implementation of general policies and procedures to provide for the emotional and physical comfort and safety of patients; participate in the formulation of new policies.
Participate in maintaining the environment of care including equipment and other material resources.
Participate in the identification of clinical or operational performance improvement opportunities and assists in performance improvement activities.
Assist with control of material resources and maintenance; assist in appraisal of effectiveness of material and equipment and report any equipment malfunctions to charge nurse.
Participate in in-service education programs and other conferences within the service.
Assist in the training of new employees.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or CertificationKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Preferred experience in Home Health Setting for 1+ years
Experience working with EMR systems
Experience with direct patient care with knowledge of disease processes is key.
- Knowledge of scope of licensed practical nurse, ability to delegate to nursing support staff.
- Considerable knowledge of the care and treatment of patients and special procedures that apply to practical nursing. Able to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively.
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others.
- Able to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up.
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area or organization.
- Able to use fine motor skills. Able to record activities, document interventions.
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs.
- Able to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients.
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Able to remain focused and organized.
- Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable to work in a hospital.
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other regulatory requirements.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.