Director of Project Management
Duke University’s Facilities Management invites applications for the position of Director of Project Management. Reporting to the Vice President of Facilities, the Director of Project Management will provide leadership and direction for a large department of professional staff that manage capital construction projects for the University.
The Office of Project Management (OPM) is responsible for facilitating project initiation, approvals, consultant selection, planning, design, construction and close out for all of Duke University’s new construction, renovations, infrastructure/energy upgrades and major building maintenance initiatives. The Office of Project Management consists of a professional staff with experience and backgrounds in planning, architecture, interior design, engineering, construction, project management and owner's representation. The office takes pride in their reputation for dedicated responsiveness, following schedules and maintaining budgets.
Occupational Summary (FMD)
The Director of Project Management provides leadership and direction to the Project Management group. S/he directs, manages, plans and administers the operational and administrative activities of the Project Management team. S/he is responsible for overseeing the completion of projects within authorized budgets, schedules and performance specifications. S/he is also responsible for ensuring that departmental and university objectives are met while minimizing disruptions to the University community and keeping stakeholders well informed throughout the process.
Overview of Key Responsibilities
· Directs the project management program in all phases of capital improvements including facilities construction, renovation and repair.
· Provides leadership to Facilities Project Management Department in support of the University's academic mission and goals.
· Establishes project scope by meeting with users, Duke Facilities staff and others to define needs.
· Communicates with Clients and Duke Leadership, as needed, regarding project status, forecasts and risks.
· Ensures detailed project review of design document with customers and review group to confirm project program. Review elements include public safety, parking, telecommunications, landscaping, utilities, engineering, sustainability and facilities operations.
· Manages budget expenditures for construction projects; monitors project expenditures at various milestones to ensure budget compliance.
· Maintains and updates University construction standards, contract terms and conditions.
· Ensures that all projects are reviewed and inspected by all applicable agencies.
· Consistently strives to ensure a safe work environment thru education, assessment and demonstrated observance of sound safety practices.
· Advises the Vice President for Facilities Management on all matters relating to project management functions.
· Represents Facilities Management in University committees and meetings, as well as relevant external groups and individuals.
Specific Skills and Competencies
· Bachelors' degree in architecture, engineering, business or related field.
· Seven years of progressive managerial experience in project management in a large, complex organization.
· Demonstrated knowledge of design, procurement and construction methods and systems for a variety of multi-discipline facilities projects.
· Ability to obtain professional registration.
· Demonstrated knowledge of design and construction procedures and facilities management.
· Demonstrated ability to manage and train a department and staff of Project Managers and support staff.
· Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with Faculty, Staff, Internal clients, and external consultants and authorities.
About Duke University Facilities Management
Facilities Management supports the mission of Duke University by providing excellence in planning, design, construction, cleanliness, operations and maintenance for facilities, grounds and utilities in a customer-focused, safe, efficient and sustainable manner.
For more information about Duke Facilities, please go to: https://facilities.duke.edu Application Process
Interested applicants should send applications or inquires to Michelle Jenkins, Human Resources Director for Facilities at [email protected] EEO Statement
Duke University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The University promotes Affirmative Action for minorities, women, individuals who are disabled, and veterans. Duke University is a drug-free, smoke-free workplace.
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering, or Construction Management.
Minimum seven years of related experience required. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.