PG191045EPInternal Recruitment :
Director of Research Administration Information Systems Anticipated Hiring Range:
$95,000 - $115,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)About the Department:
The Office of Sponsored Programs and Regulatory Compliance Services (SPARCS) is a central office at the University that supports faculty in preparing and submitting proposals for external funding; supports and manages a distributed administrative environment including research offices in the colleges and departments; manages extramural awards; negotiates funding contracts with private and public funding agencies; manages compliance with federal, state, and NC State University regulations concerning human subjects, animal subjects, conflict of interest, conflict of commitment, and the responsible conduct of research; and trains University personnel in many phases of research administration. To this end, SPARCS creates and supports a wide variety of electronic systems which are made available to the entire University community, both locally developed and vendor supplied, as well as managing communication between these systems and user support.Essential Job Duties:
The primary purpose of this position is to maintain and extend SPARCS IT resources, as well as ensure system reliability to support the University’s research enterprise. The Director must maintain compliance with federal, state and University reporting requirements.
Duties include but may not be limited to the following:
- Supervise and participate in the integration, design and development of new reporting software. Develop custom and wide-scale reporting solutions for ERA systems to include data from the legacy systems and the new systems.
- Apply and integrate in-depth specialty knowledge to achieve solutions based on business needs. This includes development maintenance, monitoring, and systems security of existing campus-hosted and self-managed ERA systems, and communication with new ERA.
- Supervise and participate in the management of vendor supplied research administration systems, as well the continuing the development of existing in-house legacy systems to ensure a smooth transition to the new ERS systems.
- Manage the monitoring, development maintenance, systems backups and security, and database administration of campus-hosted and self-managed ERA platforms.
- Work directly with SPARCS staff and especially SPARCS Directors to maintain subject matter expertise and remain aware of changes in federal and state regulations regarding sponsored research which may require modifications in our systems. This includes communicating and exchanging data with University of North Carolina General Administration (UNC-GA).
- Supervise and participate in providing elevated-level support for SPARCS systems on varying mediums for SPARCS staff, college-level research administrators (AORs), PIs and other stakeholders.
- Communicate with central OIT for support on such services as financial and personnel data from NC State University servers, authentication and identity control, etc.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Master’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with at least two years’ of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.Other Required Qualifications:
- Proficiency in web applications programming.
- Familiarity with libraries such as jQuery
- Some experience in network management and server administration such as Unix, Windows or the like
- Familiarity with research administration best practices and current trends
- Familiarity with system development tools such as issue trackers, version control, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- 10+ years of IT experience
- 5+ years of research administration experience
- Information Security Degree
- DoD approved information security certification CASP+
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
07/15/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filledPosition Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
060101 - Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)AA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.