Maintenance Mechanic/Animal CaretakerAnticipated Hiring Range:
$31,200 - $33,390Work Schedule:
Monday-Friday 7:30 am-4:30 pm with rotating holidaysJob Location:
CVM Teaching HospitalAbout the Department:
The NC State Veterinary Hospital (VH), established in 1983, is one of the highest rated veterinary academic medical centers in the country, serving communities throughout North Carolina as well as many other states. The hospital staffs over twenty clinical services with board certified specialists that are nationally and even internationally renowned, ensuring the VH is on the cutting edge of veterinary medicine. Patients benefit from the combined expertise of multiple specialists utilizing a team approach to patient health care. Each year, nearly 25,000 patients are treated in the VH. The VH provides compassionate care, state of the art specialty health care, expert clinical instruction for 4th year veterinary students from College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM), and ongoing investigation of innovative techniques and procedures to further advance the field of veterinary medicine. Essential Job Duties:
The Reedy Creek Equine Farm is a satellite facility of the NC State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. The facility is a modern home for equine reproductive services and a shared space housing faculty and students from the NC State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the CVM.
This position is responsible for routine animal husbandry tasks and facility maintenance for equines housed at the Reedy Creek Farm (RCF) facility. Duties include:
- Feeding and watering horses, cleaning and maintaining their housing, dry lots, and pastures. Safely catch, lead and restraining horses for medical and teaching procedures.
- Work in a secured facility in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research and is subject to Medical Surveillance procedures and review in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations and University Policy.
- May, at times, require employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present. Specific hazards include but are not limited to: zoonoses, chemicals, pesticides, fuels and solvents.
- Perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, etc. and may require the use of a respirator. Position will be constructing and repairing buildings, structures and fences to include basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical.
- Performs a variety of landscaping tasks such as mowing, weed trimming, cutting down trees, fertilizing, etc.
- Ensure that equipment is in good working order including small engine repair and maintenance.
Please note this is a physically demanding position that involves, but is not limited to, the following:
- Quickly respond to and access horses covering a 200-acre facility.
- Work outside in all weather conditions.
- Bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces up to 8+ hours a day, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Push, pull, move and lift heavy objects weighing up to 125 lb. with or without reasonable accommodation (e.g. bales of feed and bedding, feed sacks, materials, equipment, etc.).
- Work in a dusty, dirty and odorous environment. Tolerate foul odors, sights and substances.
- Work with animal dander, different types of hay and feed, and a variety of cleaning agents.
- Work in an area with and occasionally handle potentially dangerous large animals.
- Position requires working on weekends and holidays; working occasional overtime; working variable hours depending on current needs of the unit.
- Lunch hours may vary and will be established per the current needs of the unit.
- Work schedule subject to change with prior notification.
- Restricted vacation during busy periods.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work. Some positions may require special licenses or certification(s).
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.Other Required Qualifications:
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively at all times and maintain professionalism in emotionally charged / challenging situations.
- Skill to communicate clearly, effectively and professionally orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Skill to interpret and understand department and university practices as well as all procedures, manuals, safety regulations, directives, and other work-related documents.
- Ability to operate and use vehicles and equipment including farm equipment (e.g. different types of tractors and attachments), full size pickup truck, ATV’s, tractor, etc.
- Ability using hand tools, power tools and landscaping tools.
- Ability to perform minor repair work (e.g. fix fencing, watering devices, minor plumbing repairs, feeders, etc.).
- Must be able to lift 125 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
Required License or Certification:
- Ability to clean and provide maintenance for tractors, vehicles and equipment (e.g. change oil and filters, tire changes, battery changes, etc.).
- Ability to perform small engine repair
- Skills to operate a personal computer to check e-mail and use MS Word & Excel documents.
- Experience to safely catch, lead and restrain horses.
- Experience with equines to safely work in animal areas.
- Ability to clean stalls and feeding/watering horses.
- Experience and skill to identify sick and/or injured horses and the ability to identify subtle changes in their behavior.
- North Carolina Pesticide License or ability to obtain one.
Valid NC Driver's License required:
- NC Driver’s License is required and will need to be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
- NC Pesticide License or ability to obtain one within one year from start date.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
07/15/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history provided on your resume.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Facility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical TradesPosition Classification Band Level:
ContributingPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $66,138Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
192001 - CVM Teaching HospitalAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.