Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing and Fan EngagementFull Time/Part Time:
Athletic MarketingDepartment Statement:
Colgate Athletics seeks to be a welcoming and diverse association of students, coaches, staff, alumni and fans in which all people are treated equitably and respectfully, and can contribute fully to our success; we share common goals, we affirm open communication and civility, we honor the sacredness of each person, we accept responsibility to act for the common good, we care for and serve one another, and we honor our history while celebrating our evolution; and, we strive to consistently perform at the upper range of our potential, to get better every day with a goal to win – to win in competition, in the classroom, in the community and in the lives of every member of the Colgate Community.Accountabilities:
The Assistant Athletics Director for Fan Engagement & Marketing provides strategic and effective leadership of marketing, fan experience, ticket sales & operations, corporate partnerships, community engagement, concessions, hospitality and other special events within the Colgate Athletics Department. This position will serve on the Athletics Director’s Senior Team and is a highly visible leadership role requiring an individual with outstanding interpersonal skills. Name:
The individual in this position must be able to direct the influence of the Athletics Director to achieve departmental goals, while effectively leading and managing assigned responsibilities and projects. The successful candidate should be assertive and confident yet approachable and respectful, with a proven track record in building collaborative relationships across campus and in the community, developing innovative marketing strategies, building attendance and optimizing the fan experience.
- Primarily responsible for strategic and effective leadership of marketing, the fan experience, ticket sales & operations, corporate partnerships, community engagement, concessions, hospitality and other special events for the Colgate Athletics Department.
- Also responsible for the oversight, supervision and development of the Assistant Director for Marketing & Events, spirit and band partnership, and a host of undergraduate interns.
- Responsible for effective strategic leadership, planning, coordination and implementation of all internal and external marketing objectives for the Colgate Athletics Department and all 25 NCAA Division I sports programs.
- Responsible for all development, production and execution of creative concepts for marketing campaigns for ticket sales of all sports in accordance with strategic plan, including printed, digital and video elements.
- Effectively oversee game day execution of established marketing plan, including but not limited to promotions, giveaways, crowd engagement and video production.
- Responsible for effective marketing of promotions and events via all channels and media, e.g., gocolgateraiders.com, social media, print, electronic media, etc. in collaboration with the Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Creative Services
- Responsible for effective promotion and visibility of gocolgateraiders.com
- Develop effective relationships with Colgate students and fans and work to build a fan-centered game day culture for all sports.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Creative Services on a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy, to include cultivating fan engagement on all Colgate Athletics social media sites including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
- Responsible for overall strategic vision of marketing and ticket operations.
- Responsible for effective management, hiring, training and evaluating all marketing and ticketing staff.
- Responsible for effective collaboration with campus and community constituents in support of marketing and promotion of athletics events.
- Under the direction of the Sr. Associate Athletics Director for External Affairs & Strategic Advancement, responsible for effective lead generation and closing of corporate partnerships in accordance with corporate partner strategy. Expected to build and maintain positive relationships with corporate sponsors.
- Accountable for maintaining compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include: NCAA, specific conference, athletic department, and university policies
- Responsible for maintaining athletic marketing budget. Exercises independent discretion on all purchases and budgetary decisions for athletics marketing and fan engagement unit, as well as ticket sales and operations.
- Ensures positive relationships between the Athletics department and key stakeholders, to include alumni, local community, fans, parents, faculty and other University constituents.
- As directed, required to effectively support athletics fundraising efforts.
- Responsible for role modeling positive behaviors and leadership for student-athletes.
- Responsible for the job evaluation, development and continued professional growth of all direct reports.
- Responsible for the effective supervision of staff as assigned. Ensures selection and hiring of high quality employees; ensures appropriate distribution of work assignments and high quality of employee work product; ensures fair, accurate and timely performance assessments and feedback to include identifying areas for professional development and documenting and conducting disciplinary measures, as needed. Responsible for ensuring fair and accurate decisions regarding employment status (hire, promotion, salary increases, termination); ensures the creation of effective opportunities and programs for employee mentoring, development and sustained performance.
Media/Social Media CampaignsDescription:
Proven knowledge and experience of effective social media and general media advertising strategies. Name:
Demonstrated experience managing several social media sources for a Division I athletics department or equivalent.
Budget and financeDescription:
Ability to manage within a defined budget.Name:
Proven track record of an ability to comply with NCAA, conference and institutional regulations.Name:
Sports Marketing & PromotionsDescription:
Demonstrated ability to develop ideas and strategies that successfully promote engagement and event participation with students, alumni, fans, faculty and staff, and prospective students. Name:
Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver marketing materials in multiple media forms that successfully market athletics events.
Strong working knowledge of relevant computer programs, e.g. Excel, Word, Adobe Creative Suite, website CMS.
Demonstrated ability of maintaining positive and effective relationships with key stakeholders, to include coaches, student-athletes, alumni, local community, fans, parents, vendors, faculty and other University constituents.Name:
Managerial Skills Description:
Demonstrated knowledge of Colgate managerial processes and requirements, to include:
- Demonstrated ability to fairly and accurately assess employee performance in accordance with university practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of federal and state regulations, as they apply to the university policies and guidelines related to human resource s sufficient to effectively select new employees, recommend pay actions, determine employment status and initiate or approve employee changes in status.
- Demonstrated ability to select, develop and retain high performing work teams, to include:
- Demonstrated ability to develop employee skills, performance, and behaviors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coach and communicate with employees on issues of pay, performance and development.
Personal Accountability for ResultsDescription:
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.Name:
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.Name:
Problem Solving and Decision MakingDescription:
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.Name:
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.Name:
Leadership and TeamworkDescription:
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.Name:
Creativity and InnovationDescription:
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.Name:
Diversity and InclusionDescription:
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.Name:
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
3-5 years of collegiate athletics, professional sports, or other marketing and/or fan engagement experiencePreferred Qualifications:
5+ years of collegiate athletics, professional sports, and/or fan engagement experienceEducation:
Bachelor’s degree is required.Certifications:
Master’s degree is preferred.
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.Other Information:
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. The failure to do so can be grounds for your termination with cause.Requisition Number:
Weekdays, with occasional evenings, overnights and weekends.Job Open Date:
07/02/2021Open Until Filled:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.