General Scope of Duties:
The Director of Alumni Engagement develops and leads the strategic execution of a comprehensive alumni engagement program to offer lifelong engagement opportunities for alumni who want to learn, lead, serve and give back to their university and communities. The Director manages a donor prospect portfolio of key alumni relationships and with USM Foundation staff cultivates and solicits support of a comprehensive campaign, harnessing the power of USM’s 56,000+ alumni network. The Director of Alumni Engagement provides strategic leadership and direction to the Alumni Engagement Council, a standing committee of the USM Foundation Board of Directors.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Alumni Engagement Program Management (50%)
• Design and execute an integrated alumni strategic plan with metrics and benchmarks to gauge success, consistent with industry standards and reporting best practices.
• Build strong ties among alumni and the University of Southern Maine through a wide variety of programs, volunteer opportunities and communications.
• Manage and attend events, including alumni and volunteer recognition programs, receptions, reunions.
• Seek, develop and enhance collaborative relationships and programs with all USM units, including Admissions, Athletics, Career Services, Communications and all academic departments. Serve as Foundation liaison to key USM departments and programs such as the Career & Employment Hub, Professional Development Programs, and the Honors Program.
• Cultivate and leverage campus and community partnerships to increase opportunities for engagement among alumni, career services, faculty, staff and students.
• Foster and spearhead current alumni engagement programs and develop the next generation of services to support alumni in all life stages.
• Lead alumni communications strategy in partnership with Associate Director of Communications; expand digital, print and social media, and enhance alumni presence on USM Foundation website.
Alumni and Volunteer Cultivation, Solicitation and Stewardship (40%)
• Partner with Director of Annual Giving to promote alumni engagement and philanthropy.
• Manage, inform and support the USM Alumni Engagement Council.
• Manage a portfolio of key alumni donors and prospects.
• Develop an alumni awards program to recognize outstanding alumni achievement and engagement.
• Represent USM, the USM Foundation and the USM Alumni Association both on and off campus.
• Sustain and grow attendance at and engagement through campus, regional and national alumni events and affinity groups.
Alumni Engagement Operations (10%)
• Manage alumni engagement budget.
• Build relationships with alumni engagement peers within the UMaine System, regionally and nationally to ensure use of best practices and innovative alumni engagement strategies.
Education and Skills:
• Inspirational leader possessing the charisma, poise and judgment to serve as spokesperson, influencer and natural connector across diverse audiences.
• Innovative, tenacious, driven, and intellectually curious leader who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
• Requires a bachelor's degree with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in higher education. USM alumni a plus.
• Knowledge of best practices in alumni engagement, board and volunteer cultivation and development, project implementation and evaluation.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills and fluency with Microsoft software (Excel, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint). Ability to learn new technology swiftly.
• Some travel and availability outside of normal business hours necessary to fulfill obligations of the position.
Salary Range: $55,000 - $70,000 dependent on experience.