Job no: 517377
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Facilities/Skilled Trades, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:60770000 - AG-NFREC-QUINCY
Agricultural Assistant I
- Incumbent practices and fosters team spirit and positive, productive working relations with colleagues at NFREC. Assist with coordinating and implementing daily care of animals in the Florida Bull Test and in other research projects conducted at the Feed Efficiency Facility. This includes monitoring feed, health care, and weighing as directed by supervisor and faculty. This will require work after hours and on weekends.
- Operate farm machinery (tractor, skid steer, mowers, feed wagons, baler, rake, plough, disc, etc.) to assist with harvesting stored forage and feeding cattle. This will require work after hours and on weekends.
- Assist with care and implementing experiments of cattle in the feed efficiency facility. This includes, herd health, weighing, feeding, etc. This will require work after hours and on weekends.
- Assist with coordinating and implementing daily care of cow herd. This includes herd health, weighing, feeding, grazing, breeding, etc. Maintains cattle records and research data. Records will be maintained on computer and updated as needed. Under supervision of supervisor, assist with daily pasture management: this includes planting, mowing, spraying, fertilization, haying, and grazing. This will require work after hours and on weekends.
- Assist as needed with ongoing projects and experiments at NFREC-Marianna and other NFREC units.
- Assist with field days, tours, demonstrations and Bull Test sale. This will require work after hours and weekends.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
A minimum of 10 years of experience with the use of cattle feeding equipment such as skid steer, farm tractors, and feed wagons. The ability to work independently and to be proficient in the use of welding equipment to repair cattle pens and feeding structures, pipes, etc.
Beef cattle and farm equipment experience required.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires a post-offer health assessment, a valid driver license, and a criminal background check. Animal contact is required for this position (cattle).
Valid FL drivers license.
This is a time-limited position.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload a résumé.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 15 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Jul 2021 Eastern Daylight Time