Macalester is looking to hire an Assistant Director of Alumni & Parent Engagement to develop, lead and manage initiatives and programs at the intersection of Alumni Engagement and Entrepreneurship and Innovation. This role builds upon the legacy of the entrepreneurial alumni community and connects with a greater network of entrepreneurs and innovators with Macalester alumni and students. It will help harness the energy and curiosity of Macalester alumni eager to be involved in the programming while strategically managing the pipeline in collaboration with Alumni Engagement and Advancement. Additionally, it works in a fast-paced environment and works closely to execute the vision set forth by the Directors. Lastly, this role works both independently and collaboratively and manages multiple priorities and deadlines.
About Department of Entrepreneurship & Innovation:
Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Macalester works with students and the broader community to nurture ideas and fuel innovation to bring about change. Driven by the college’s mission, the entrepreneurial spirit has been a part of Macalester’s culture from the very beginning. Students have many opportunities in entrepreneurship, and often these opportunities were created by entrepreneurial students themselves. They include coursework, internship opportunities, seed funding, a 10-week accelerator program, community project funding, and hackathons.
About Alumni Engagement:
The Macalester community extends far beyond the student experience. Once a student, alumni are connected with a support system for life. Alumni Engagement seeks to reach, serve, and engage alumni; to foster a lifelong intellectual and emotional connection between Macalester College and the alumni community.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation (E&I) Programming and Volunteer Management:
- Serves as a liaison with alumni entrepreneurs. Responds to inquiries from alumni entrepreneurs seeking connection, information and support. Builds an alumni database of entrepreneurially focused alumni.
- Coordinates alumni and parent engagement in all E&I programming.
- Designs new programming (digital and in-person) to support alumni and parent engagement.
- Works with Twin Cities entrepreneurial community to build engagement opportunities
- Creates and manages systems to track engagement.
- Effectively utilizes data to evaluate program effectiveness.
- Effectively tracks and reports alumni, parent and community engagement in E&I programming.
Partnerships and External Relations:
- Develops relationships with key alumni.
- Works closely with Alumni Engagement staff to engage YMac and regional alumni clubs in relevant programming and events.
- In partnership with Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement, serves as second liaison to the Macalester Career Connections (MC2) Alumni Board working group.
- Effectively tracks and updates Advancement database with related alumni engagement information.
- Staffs 1-2 Reunion committees.
- Partners with alumni engagement liaisons in other departments and meets regularly as a team to build synergies and efficiencies.
- Works with Advancement to support donor cultivation through volunteer placements.
- Leads, collaborates, and supports other duties as assigned.
Communications & Marketing:
- Determines the best engagement methods and leverages existing communication channels (social media, alumni communications, website) to promote engagement opportunities for parents and alumni; develops new on-line and print materials as needed.
- Designs and creates communication from E&I through social media platforms and newsletter including managing a communication calendar and innovating on ways to link to students, alumni, parents and the broader Twin Cities community.
- Creates and distributes original content and information on existing programming to build engagement through multi-media channels.
Alumni Engagement Duties Include:
- Meeting weekly with the Director of Alumni Engagement.
- Serving as a key member of the Alumni Engagement team, attending quarterly all-Engagement team meetings and offices 1-2 days per week in Alumni Engagement.
- Supervising student staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 3-5 years of experience with Volunteer management, one-to-one solicitation, or group facilitation/capacity building.
- Experience with volunteer management strategies and solicitation strategies.
- The ability to analyze giving trends in various decades and giving society.
- The ability to Identify, recruit, train and manage volunteers and manage multiple class years and their goals
- Experience with using social media and design tools to plan, implement and manage marketing strategies that highlight the work of the department or alumni entreprepreneurs.
- Experience with Google suite, email, database.
- A valid driver’s license.
- It is expected that an employee in this role:
- Have an appreciation for the value of a liberal arts education
- Are able to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
- Build positive, professional relationships that underscore confidence in Advancement among colleagues, across campus and with our constituents
- Demonstrates the commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Actively engages in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a more welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester Community.
Compensation & Benefits:
The cash compensation for this position is $46,000-50,000k. Total compensation includes Macalester's full benefits package. For more information on Macalester Benefits please see visits our 2021 Benefits Summary.
For best consideration, applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage. Applications received by August 2nd will receive priority and review of applications will begin immediately. This role will be posted until closed.
All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:
For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine regimen.Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.
Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]