Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Laboratory Animal Research Assistant to join Department of Diagnostic Radiology.
The selected candidate will perform rodent drug self-administration procedures, as well as associated experimental protocols and data management for a project investigating the effect of MRI-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) treatments on motivated behaviors. In addition, we will deliver customized gene-therapy and nano-formulated drugs in mouse models of HIV after MRgFUS treatments. The RT will be involved with preparation of the animals for and coordination of the MRgFUS treatments. The RT needs to work with HIV-infected mice. In addition, the RT will also coordinate lab meetings with investigators, manage laboratory ordering and receiving and associated administrative processes. The Laboratory Animal Research Assistant is responsible for performing animal research activities and animal clinical care in a laboratory setting with a variety of species. Work is performed in accordance with animal welfare regulations, USDA, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Public Health Services (PHS), Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW), Association for assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC), and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) guidelines.UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). BENEFITS:
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, daily observations of animal health, collection of cultures and biological specimens for diagnostic testing and monitoring of animal health, reporting outcomes to veterinarian, triage, administer specific or prescribed animal treatments as required; diagnostic molecular (ELISA), bacteriological, or biological assays, breeding colonization processes, irradiation of blood products, and executing biochemical procedures such as: electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, and DNA extractions, etc. May require performing psychological enrichment of certain species.
• May perform advanced laboratory research activities on variety of animals species such as: obtaining blood, bone marrow, and tissue samples, perform animal surgery, post-operative care, implantation or placement of medical devices, administration of pharmaceuticals and nutrients, including anesthesia, and perform euthanasia process. May participate in the design of research studies and assist with budget tasks for research studies/projects.
• Compile and may analyze research data using various relevant computer software applications.
• Assist with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
• May perform administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in biology, agriculture, veterinary science, biochemistry, chemistry, or field of study related to the animal science. Preferred Experience:
Prior experience in handling rodents and proficiency in rodent intravenous surgery and drug self-administration procedures required. Experience with MS Excel data management preferred. Other:
May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Commensurate with education and experience (Low to mid $40K) UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Diagnostic RadiologyJob Posting:
Jul 14, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 28, 2021, 10:59:00 PM