The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Center for Information Technology Services is recruiting for an Executive Director, Infrastructure Services and Planning. UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Strengthen and extend the Cloud first approach for Infrastructure Services. Minimize/eliminate new on-premises deployments and transition existing hardware and systems to external cloud providers, e.g., Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle.
- Engage and work with internal stakeholders and external Cloud vendors to learn, share, develop and implement tools and technologies offered by Cloud infrastructure providers, (Microsoft Azure, AWS, Oracle) and introduce new Cloud-based services for the University community, e.g., deployment of virtual desktops; implementation of new IT security tools and technologies, etc.
- Focus on information security as a critical priority and maintain information security best practices in the Infrastructure Services group.
- As part of the Cloud first strategy, develop plans for acquiring and optimizing the use of Cloud-based infrastructure(s) and service(s) that meet the needs of the UMB community.
- Maintain an expert level understanding of external Cloud infrastructures and computing architectures in order to advise senior management in major decision-making.
- Provide leadership and expert direction of Infrastructure Services staff as infrastructure resources are acquired, migrated, and managed in external Cloud infrastructures.
- Coordinate and collaborate with IT colleagues and other stakeholders as applications, systems and hardware are transitioned to external Cloud providers. Partner with senior level administrators and other directors on a frequent basis in order to coordinate the implementation and maintenance of technology that supports UMB user needs.
- Ensure efficient recruitment/interviewing and training functions to review strengths and weaknesses in maintaining a staff of well-trained, highly involved, and motivated employees.
- Maintain and nurture effective communication and partnerships throughout the campus by conferring with academic and business units and campus leadership on strategic priorities and operational needs.
- Proactively represent the department through participation in campus meetings and special projects, as well as UMB on an external basis with USM headquarters and other system wide units on an as needed basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in field and/or related field (Master’s degree and additional certification is preferred and can be used to substitute for relevant experience).
Experience: Eight (8) years spent progressively building a background in the various departmental functions with at least five (5) of those years in management/leadership roles. Experience working with Cloud infrastructure vendors and services preferred.Other: Financial disclosure reporting required by State of Maryland Ethics Commission.
Ability to establish processes necessary to implement new installs and required upgrades.
Ability to present complex technical concepts in a user-friendly manner. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
. If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
CITS OperationsJob Posting:
Jul 15, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 26, 2021, 10:59:00 PM