Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Lead Data Architect to join Center for Information Technology Services (CITS).
The data architect is responsible for visualizing and designing an organization's enterprise data management framework. Assessing the university’s potential data sources (internal and external), data architects design a plan to integrate, centralize, protect, and maintain them. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). BENEFITS:
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. PRIMARY DUTIES:
- Leads the most complex designs of the enterprise data management framework which include the following components: enterprise data warehouse, data structures, data models (logical and physical), ETL programs, semantic layer for reporting, data access methods, validation checks, and data security. Assist with the development of ETL processes.
- Lead the design and implementation of the new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW). Assist with the data modeling process. Implement and manage data warehousing best practices. Ensure that all data are properly secured in the EDW and complies with various regulations. Create and maintain a robust set of documentation for the implementation of the EDW.
- Leads the teams participation in data governance activities and monitor data quality metrics pertaining to the accuracy and completeness of information.
- Lead, and ensure team can facilitate root cause analysis on data quality issues.
- Work directly with Developers, Line of Business Data Stewards, and Business Analysts on data requirements and Quality Assurance.
- Assists in the development of procedures and protocols to monitor, analyze and verify data quality to ensure data integrity.
- Ensures data is well structured to facilitate analysis, reporting, and associated analytics activities.
- Serves as a project leader for most complex, costly or sensitive projects that could significantly impact enterprise-wide (University) systems. Meets with users to determine needs and develops project plan or alternatives that will meet objectives.
- Identifies data sources, constructs data decomposition diagrams, provides data flow diagrams and documents the process. Designs, develops, and documents data models and structures to ensure support to current and future applications.
- Oversees the development of relational database structures to support reporting and analytics activities.
- Provides data engineering expertise to less experienced staff
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelors in Information Technology, Computer Science, Systems Administration, Computer Engineering or a related field. Experience:
Seven (7) years of experience in data warehouse design and implementation. Documentation of the design and implementation of at least one (1) data warehouse using established data warehouse design methodologies. Experience in documenting designs and implementations, and researching data issues required. Other:
Well versed in application of data warehouse design methodologies including but not limited to: star schema, snowflake schema, dimensions, data mart. Proficient in SQL and database technology. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
. If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
CITS OperationsJob Posting:
Jul 15, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 29, 2021, 10:59:00 PM