The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Office of the Controller is seeking a Manager, Disbursements to oversee the University's disbursement activities.UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Manage a team of disbursements specialists that process all invoice payments through the State of Maryland General Accounting Division (GAD) and the general working fund.
- Manage daily disbursement activities and ensure documentation of work performed, timely and accurate payment of invoices; make suggestions for improvement in a clear, accurate, and technically concise manner.
- Review system data to ensure received transactions are fully processed through the systems.
- Perform complex account analyses to ensure transactions are recorded properly in the general ledger.
- Understand and troubleshoot the general ledger and payables sub-ledger accounting of all disbursements transactions within the UMB financial system and within the state financial system.
- Work with principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to identify potential ledger discrepancies between financial system and departmental records.
- Perform accounting functions such as journal entries (i.e. debit memos), year-end transactions, reconciliations, and other assigned tasks.
- Communicate with UMB units and external agencies on matters related to disbursements and work with the Director and staff members to resolve issues.
- Follow up with UMB units and external agencies to ensure that issues are resolved.
- Oversee and approve supplier (i.e. vendor) updates.
- Ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State, University System of Maryland, and UMB policies and procedures.
- Assist the Director of Disbursements in ensuring tax compliance related to disbursements and preparing the various filing reports.
- Assist the Director of Disbursements in the development and implementation of university-wide training programs as needs are identified.
- Keep management informed of work progress and improvements.
- Perform such administrative duties as staff supervision, monitoring and granting leave requests, personnel actions, and performance evaluations.
- Define and monitor critical path activities, resolve issues and escalate complex matters as needed to the appropriate contact(s).
- Delegate tasks when appropriate.
- Use analytical methods and guidance from the Director to assess staff productivity and to measure staff performance.
- Cultivate a cohesive working environment to support UMB goals, objectives, and core values. Perform other duties as assigned.
: Bachelor's in Accounting, Finance, or Business AdministrationExperience
: Five (5) years of disbursements accounting management is required. Experience in a large research university or government setting and experience with Oracle Cloud Financials is preferred.Supervisory Experience
: Three (3) years of direct management involved in recruitment, training, and professional development of staff.Other:
Designated as an essential employee who may be required to work on non-business days or outside of normal hours in orde to ensure the continuity of operations for disbursements services. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of governmental accounting standards and fund accounting. Strong leadership skills. Ability to motivate and direct subordinates. Ability to interact with senior leadership, large groups of individuals, and working with diverse individuals. Accomplishes responsibilities by applying specialized and theoretical knowledge, principles, and concepts of accounts payable normally acquired through advanced education or specialized training. Resolves issues and significant matters on behalf of management by utilizing independent judgment, discretion, creativity, and analytical thinking. Contributes to development and evaluation of goals and objectives. Creates solutions to ensure legal and policy compliance. May supervise, mentor, or coordinate work of others (positions that supervise are responsible for service delivery, quality assurance, and employee performance). May independently manage or administer programs, processes, projects, or resources. Applies advanced, expert level knowledge, concepts, principles, and skills. Substantial latitude in decision-making. Sets goals and objectives to align with defined strategy. Informs supervisor of progress. Works on ambiguous matters generally without precedent or structure and independently develops standardization and protocol. Makes departures from traditional approaches to develop novel solutions. Influences strategy, program, policy development, and best practices. Acts as expert resource to others. Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience.UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Financial ServicesJob Posting:
Jul 14, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 28, 2021, 10:59:00 PM