Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Center for Vaccine Development and Global Health (CVD)
brings together more than four decades of innovative and life-saving research on vaccines and infectious diseases. http://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/cvd/
As an organized research center within the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM), CVD comprises a multi-disciplinary team of faculty and staff whose primary mission is to develop, evaluate, and implement vaccines and other interventions to reduce illness and mortality domestically and in less developed countries. We work to prevent and treat enteric and respiratory diseases, to reduce the threat of malaria and antimicrobial resistance, and to identify, understand and combat other tropic and emerging pathogens burdening low resource settings. Training is a critical component of our work to ensure the foundation for the next generation of scientists and researchers committed to our mission.
The CVD is seeking a Nurse Coordinator
to join our clinical research team. ***This is a Contractual Position*** Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties:
- Leads the activities of one or more research studies and the nurses engaged in research or clinical trials and the provision of health care to research patients. Responsible for overseeing research projects, and ensuring that nurses and staff are aware of study protocols. Develops and tracks work flow policies, recruitment strategy, and progress through the duration of the research study or clinical trial. Collaborates with Principal Investigators and regulatory staff in the preparation of new protocol submissions, protocol amendments, and renewals of ongoing clinical trials.
- Oversees day to day clinical research operations that require expertise of a Registered Nurse and leads study design, initiation, execution, and completion of clinical trials, research studies, or projects. Ensures compliance of assigned staff with study protocols and overall clinical objectives. Oversees interaction with subject participants including eligibility screening, recruitment, and enrollment. Ensures informed consent is properly secured and documented, counseling, and obtaining patient medical history.
- Serves as a patient advocate throughout the research study or clinical trial. Develops and conducts patient and family education. Instructs and counsels patients in research procedures and administers treatment procedures. Oversees patient care in compliance with the research study or clinical trial protocol requirements.
- Performs Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) protocol development and ensure compliance of research operations with protocols.
- Identifies protocol or patient problems, informs investigators of problems, and resolves problems by making protocol modifications or adjustments to care plans. Develops, recommends, modifies, and implements policies and procedures and/or methods of clinical research to meet changing needs and requirements and enforces standards.
- Obtains biologic tissue and blood samples as necessary and collects information through interviews, questionnaires, test results, and charts. Administers study medications and accurately document the administration in the source document
- Oversees study and research related documentation development and distribution. Leads the management and analysis of clinical research protocol and data collection of complex research studies or clinical trials.. Develops monitoring plans based upon research protocols in compliance with regulatory agencies. Develops methods for collection, database storage, tracking, analysis, and interpretation of data. Prepares research findings for reports.
- Performs day-to-day operational duties such as: monitoring the budget; budget negotiation and review, ensuring quality control and safety compliance; identifying research opportunities, serving as liaison with IRB, submitting invoicing.
- Identifies and prepares research grants, publications in medical and nursing literature, study materials, brochures, and correspondence.
- Serves as the primary liaison to other departments, outside organizations, government agencies, and sponsor to promote effective and efficient operation and use of resource. Establishes, maintains, and fosters a cooperative relationship between the members of the research team and supports staff by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participation in team problem-solving methods. Oversees the recruitment, performance, scheduling, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motivated team. Instruct and train research and nursing staff in scientific and procedural aspects of studies including standards of care, informed consent procedures, and documentation procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or another discipline appropriate to position. Experience:
Five (5) years as Registered Nurse with at least one (1) year in research specialization. Additional years of research preferred. Certification/Licensure:
Current Maryland license in good standing issued by the Maryland Board of Nursing to practice as a registered nurse or a multistate licensure privilege to practice as a registered nurse in Maryland or appropriate federal district licensure where research is conducted. Other:
Certification from Association of Clinical Research Professionals or Society of Clinical Research Associates preferred.
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Centers/Programs/ORCsJob Posting:
Jul 14, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 20, 2021, 10:59:00 PM