Food Service Area SupervisorPosition Number:
00003934Working Position Title:
Food Service Area Supervisor (EXTENDED)Posting Type:
Conferences Event ManagementPrimary Function:
NIU-Naperville functions as a University off- campus center providing classroom space and support for Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
NIU courses during evening and Saturday hours, and operates as a conference center on weekdays and
weekends. This is a critical support position to the conference and catering operations at NIU-Naperville.
The individual in this position will work closely, report and take direction from Event and Catering
Manager in preparation and set-up for catering breakfasts, break service, lunches, dinners and receptions for conference clients at NIU-Naperville. The position requires the ability to work independently with little supervision and also have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This individual will have contact with and must be pleasant to all levels of NIU staff and users of the NIU-Naperville center including conference clients, potential clients, students, faculty and the public. This individual must also be well groomed, reliable, conscientious and able to work well under pressure. The schedule is dependent on events in the building and will be posted 2 weeks in advance. The schedule hours could be but not limited to 6:30 am – 2:30 pm, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm. The work week will rotate with other staff member from Monday – Friday to Tuesday – Saturday and some Sundays will be required.
Assists in preparation/set-up/service for morning and afternoon breaks; Creating/ supervising morning/lunch/afternoon/reception catering staff; Assist Facility Manager with room set-ups/teardowns; Set-up/maintenance of linens & skirting.Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
Three years of food service experience. (High school education may be substituted for food service experience on the basis of two years of education being equal to one year of food service experience.)Education and Experience Preferred:
Experience in Hospitality IndustryList the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
Food santationWorking Hours:
VariesMinimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$13.50/hourHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
07/29/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected] Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE: If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Food Service Area Supervisor for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
Link to Department Homepage:
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Conferences Event Management Physical Demands:
On feet all day lifting 50 pounds EEO Statement:
Must be available mornings and afternoons and weekends – schedule is variable based on business demands. Must be able to rotate between duties based on what area needs assistance (must be able to do set-ups & tear-downs as well as man the front desk).
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Is Background Check Required:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: