Publicity Promotion AssociatePosition Number:
00004978Working Position Title:
Coordinator of Digital and Web CommunicationsPosting Type:
Housing & Residential ServicesPrimary Function:
This position reports to the Senior Director of Housing and Residential Services and will play a key role in the planning, implementation and ongoing improvement of web communications systems, social media platform content, and digital materials that support all communications and marketing in the department.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
This position oversees all aspects of Housing and Residential Services web presence, social media and communication technologies, and applications designed to provide service for staff and students. This position also requires collaboration with the Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communications and the specific areas related to Website Development and Support, and University Marketing and Creative Services. The Coordinator also works closely with divisional partners for Student Affairs regarding marketing and communication strategies.Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, radio/television broadcasting, web/digital media, Marketing, MIS, Graphic Design or related field. Education and Experience Preferred:
2. One (1) year (12 months) of professional work experience in public relations, journalism, social media communications, newspaper reporting, radio/television broadcasting with emphasis on production, or web/digital media.
*Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
1. Supervisory experience. List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
2. Proficiency with web development software (PHP, MySQL, HTML).
3. Experience using photography/videography equipment for media production purposes.
4. A demonstrated commitment to diversity is essential.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Working Hours:
1. Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, social media analytics and publishing tools, communication, and dissemination techniques.
2. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
3. Knowledge of computer software, including applications and programming and for setting up functions, entering data or processing information.
4. Knowledge of professional applications of research and writing skills.
5. Skill in public speaking and delivering presentations to individuals and groups.
6. Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
7. Skill in creating and launching geo-targeted social media campaigns.
8. Skill in organizing and managing live online events (Facebook Live, Twitter Q&A’s, Reddit AMA, etc.)
9. Ability to interpret, condense, and edit information for various media formats.
10. Ability to establish long-range objectives and specify the strategies and actions to achieve them.
M-F 8-4:30Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$3333.34 per monthHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
08/12/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Required document: minimum of three (3) examples of graphic design, social media content, and or web page development; hyperlinks or URL will NOT be accepted (please place in Other under Required Documents)Link to Department Homepage:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10).
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Publicity Promotion Associate for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Individual must set work priorities and determine methods of completing job tasks. There are guidelines, policies and procedures, and departmental and state standards, which must be adhered to in performing the assigned responsibilities.EEO Statement:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Is Background Check Required:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: