Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
010103NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Grounds Services Technician - AdvancedWorking Title:
Grounds Services TechnicianSalary Range:
$31,200 - $33,032Anticipate Hiring Range:
$31,200 - $31,222FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.; Monday – Friday Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the campus as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions.
This position contributes to the overall appearance and condition of the university’s buildings, academic and office spaces. It also assists in maintaining the university facilities in good working order and maintaining an overall pleasant working, teaching and learning environment. This position will support the associated grounds and landscaping requirements due to the development of expanded highly maintained landscaped areas of campus. The maintenance includes herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, and fertilization treatments which requires basic knowledge of materials, elemental horticulture, and the skill to fulfill these duties; litter control, weed control, trimming of undergrowth and pruning of trees, rip rap and erosion repair, upkeep of drainage structures and snow and ice removal along walkways and steps.Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
Some knowledge of grounds keeping procedures, ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from high school, or completion of its equivalency, and two (2) years of related grounds experience.
1. Supervise lesser skilled employees in duties assigned in absence of supervisor. Other Work Responsibilities:
2. Supervise or serve as lead worker to rake and mulch leaves, clear snow from walkways and parking lots.
3. Act as team lead or working supervisor for the upkeep and repair of sidewalks, parking lots, grounds keeping equipment, pools, fountains, fences, planters and benches and care for athletic fields.
4. Daily tasks to include: litter control, tractor operation, weed eating, edging, blowing, mowing, seeding and fertilizing, installation, watering, irrigation operation and repair, pruning, pesticide application, riding mowers, tree removal, operation of backhoe and skid steer, storm clean up and snow removal.
5. Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, pruning and regular saws, hedge and brush trimmers and axes, as well as power lawnmowers, chain saws, snow blowers and electric clippers. May use heavier equipment such as tractors and other vehicles.
6. Operate machines and equipment such as trucks, tractors, and other gardening and grounds maintenance type equipment.
7. Perform more advanced grounds operations including but not limited to aerating, over seeding, mowing and fertilizing with tractors and other specialized equipment.
8. Use irrigation methods and control systems to adjust the amount of water consumption and reduce waste.
1. Apply fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides either occasionally or on a normal periodic basis as required. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
2. Obtain, mix and transport chemicals and similar products, and apply them in the correct amount and in the correct areas as required.
3. Keep all application equipment clean, and return to inventory after each use.
4. Move office furniture and help with special event setups and tear downs.
5. Make minor repairs to lawn mowers, sprayers and other grounds equipment.
6. Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated to support all operations.
1. Two years’ experience in progressive grounds/landscape maintenance fieldwork.Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
2. One-year experience in horticulture, design, turf grass, or landscape construction experience and training.
3. Experience in coordinating, and overseeing the installation and maintenance of landscaped areas; transplant, mulch, fertilize and water plants, trees, shrubs and lawns.
4. Knowledge in mixing, applying and transporting chemicals and similar products.
5. Experience in coordinating and scheduling grounds maintenance work, and ability to act as lead worker on assigned tasks and grounds maintenance projects.
6. Experience in operating machines and equipment such as trucks, tractors, and other gardening and grounds maintenance type equipment.
7. Knowledge of irrigation methods and systems.
8. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation and comprehension) required.
9. Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications.
10. Computer literate and knowledge and skill with Google Chrome, Microsoft Word and Excel, and willingness to learn new programs.
11. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
12. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork.
13. Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
1. Where applicable, must be eligible for required certification(s). Work Location:
2. Valid NC State driver’s license or ability to obtain.
FM Grounds - Perimeter Campus/CRI/HRLPosting date:
08/15/2021Proposed Hire Date:
09/20/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
- These documents are used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
- Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
- Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from consideration, but it may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and experience.