: College RelationsLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Jul 7, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Event coordinator for both Des Plaines, IL and Skokie, IL campuses. Leads the planning and organization for identified College-wide events as well as provides consultation for departmental events. Facilitates external constituents use of campus facilities for agreed non-revenue and co-sponsored events. Owner of the room booking process for all non-credit activities including for The Alliance for Lifelong Learning, student clubs, and faculty events. Researches and proposes vendor services and contract details. Strong partner with faculty, staff, students, vendors, and the community.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates identified College events with college staff, vendors, and contractors including scheduling, cost estimates, required equipment and supplies, timelines, catering, and facility requirements. Coordinates with Facilities, Media Services, Food Service, and other partners to ensure accurate and professional setup and logistical flow of events, including notification to impacted areas throughout the College and the College Police Department.
- Manages scheduling and relationships for non-revenue, co-sponsored events and acts as the constituent's main interface as related to agreements, supplemental fees (catering, rentals, and AV services as needed), , processes, and procedures. Follows procedures and policies to estimate costs of internal events and loaned facility impact, providing annual reporting of usage.
- Provides guidance and expertise to departments for their events on topics such as setup, catering, and general event logistics based on expected attendance and visibility.
- Maintains system of record for all room utilization. Controls reservation process per requests from faculty, staff, and students for the use of college facilities for major non-credit activities at both the Des Plaines and Skokie campuses.
- Lead user of scheduling software (currently AdAstra), event setup software (currently Social Tables), and catering management software. Receives non-credit class information via Banner interface and coordinates data entry into scheduling software to meet Illinois Community College Board compliance.
- Provides direction to internal clients in regards to the booking procedure, repairs and facility upgrades that impact events, and event management recommendations.
- Guides support staff in data entry and handling basic inquiries.
- Develops, refines, and communicates college policy and procedures regarding use of facilities as related to scheduling, rentals, and events, including recognition of identified holidays and other observances.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality, Business, or related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary.
- Three years of meeting and seminar planning experience or certification in Meeting Planning Development (CMP) is required.
- Ability to enter, retrieve, and manipulate data on a computer and ability to learn and manage room scheduling software is required.
- Strong ability to multitask is required.
- The ability to explain College policy, procedures and practices in difficult situations is required. A high level of interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deliver services in an environment where there is an emphasis on customer service are required. Incumbent must be able to give and receive advice and opinions and interact with individuals in situations requiring sensitivity and tact.
- Knowledge of College offices and their functions is highly desirable.
- General office environment. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Ability to perform moderate physical activity including the ability to lift 20 pounds. Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting, standing, and walking. Mobility to move from building to building on both campuses and to visit off campus entities. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Chief Advancement Officer / Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communication.
Functional supervision is exercised over support staff and student workers.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm, Early morning, evening and weekend flexibility needed.
SALARY: $48,870 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.