Controller, Fiscal Services- Central ServicesSite:
Yosemite Community College District/Central ServicesSalary Range/Other:
Management Salary Schedule 2019-2020 Range: 46 ($10,399 - $13,223). A $2,562 per year ($213.50 per month) Doctoral Stipend is provided for an earned doctorate.)Benefits :
The District currently pays for a health option for the employee and dependents. Employees may elect to pay a premium for a higher health option. Vision care and dental insurance premiums for the employee and dependents is District paid. Income protection and life insurance premiums for the employee are also District paid. Scope of Assignment:
The District offers a health benefits package. The amount of health benefits coverage depends on percent of assignment. A position that is less than 50% is not eligible to participate in the District’s health benefit program.
DEFINITION Minimum Qualifications:
Under general administrative direction plans, organizes, directs and controls all of the staff and functions of the Controller’s operation including payroll, accounting, accounts payable, student loan collections and grant operations; works to ensure that District assets are protected and controlled; coordinates the annual district audit; ensures District compliance with all applicable governmental regulations and policies and performs related work as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general administrative direction from the Executive Vice Chancellor.
Provides direct supervision to supervisory and professional staff as well as other administrative support staff, as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Example of Duties:
• Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Principles, practices of accounting, auditing, governmental accounting and budgeting within the California community college finance environment
• Federal and, state accounting and reporting requirements, automated financial and accounting systems development, design, pertinent state laws, and regulations
• Knowledge of applicable financial related computer software, word processing and spreadsheet software.
• Prepare, analyze and interpret financial and statistical reports, documents, and accounting records
• Utilize computer applications through terminals and personal computer, prepare comprehensive technical reports and make presentations.
• Assign, monitor and evaluate the work of others.
• Manage and prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
• Receive and follow instructions and appropriately interact with District staff, faculty and the public; balance stewardship with service.
• Learn and apply college and district policies and procedures:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Education: Equivalent to possession of Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field. MBA or CPA preferred.
• Experience: Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible experience in general accounting, auditing, financial systems design, including supervisory/management experience preferably in a community college setting.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES Licenses and Certificates:
• Plans, organizes, directs and controls all of the staff and functions of the Controller’s operation including payroll, accounting, accounts payable, student loan collections and grant operations.
• Maintains the District’s system of accounts and keeps books and records on all financial transactions and assets; approves all District requisitions, journals and manual checks..
• Ensures overall compliance with all governmental agencies impacting District operations, e.g. IRS, US Department of Education, State Chancellor’s Office, etc.; prepares state reports, as needed
• Conducts analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise on matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the District.
• Prepares financial statements for the Districts Capital Projects Fund
• Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the Controller’s office.
• Coordinates the annual District audit with external audit firm.
• Assists in the preparation of the District’s budget, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures, as needed; manages Controller’s operational budget as well as General Obligation funded capital budget.
• Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports as necessary.
• Provides on-going financial training for end-users District-wide.
• Assumes fiduciary and final responsibility for providing effective financial controls for the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Work is generally performed in a standard office environment.
• Work may require occasional evening and weekend hours.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver’s license.Physical and Mental Standards:
CPA license desirable.
Physical and Mental Standards: Additional Applicant Information:
• Mobility: ability to sit for long periods, move about an office, stand occasionally, reach above and below desk level.
• Dexterity: fine manipulation sufficient to operate a keyboard, handle individual papers, write and take notes.
• Lifting: occasional lifting of papers, files, equipment and material weighing up to 25 pounds.
• Visual Requirements: close vision sufficient to read files, documents, and computer screens and do close-up work; ability to adjust focus frequently.
• Hearing/Talking: ability to hear normal speech, speak and hear on the telephone, and speak in person. • Emotional/Psychological Factors: ability to make decisions and concentrate; frequent contact with others including some public contact; frequent deadlines and time-limited assignments.
SELECTION PROCEDURES Open Date:
To Be Considered:
The Yosemite Community College District requires that all applications be submitted online. To apply, please go to www.yosemite.edu/hr/ On the “Human Resources Office” page, use the link on the left margin that reads “Job Openings.”
1. An online Yosemite Community College District Application.
2. A personal letter of application (Cover Letter): Individuals interested in this position will state in a (four pages or less) letter of application specifically why they are interested in the position, how they meet the criteria and qualifications for the position (ideal characteristics, essential duties and responsibilities, knowledge of, and ability to), and how they meet the desirable characteristics (education and experience).
3. Resume or Vita: Applicants will also submit a current resume of professional experience, accomplishments, educational background, and other pertinent information.
4. Unofficial transcripts: Employment history, degrees awarded, certifications and other accomplishments will also be verified.
The Board of Trustees of Yosemite Community College District assures that all employees and applicants for employment will be provided equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, or veteran status.
Applicants with ADA needs may contact Human Resources 209-575-6900 to arrange for computer assistance.
ADDITIONAL APPLICANT INFORMATION
Applications will be reviewed by a screening committee, which will select candidates to be interviewed. After interviews, a recommendation will be forwarded to the Chancellor and Board of Trustees.
Appointment Information: In accordance with Board Policy, official offers of employment will be made by Chancellor or designee. Final appointment is subject to confirmation by the Board of Trustees
Federal law requires that the District employ only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the United States. Written verification of employment eligibility is required.
A background investigation of new employees is required, including reference checks and a state criminal history report. The cost for the criminal history report will be the responsibility of the successful candidate.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The Yosemite Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. YCCD BP 3410 Nondiscrimination can be found at:
07/14/2021Open Until Filled: