Lake Forest College is a private, residential, liberal arts institution that enrolls more than 1,500 diverse students from 43 states and 85 countries. The College prioritizes the residential experience and holds a three-year residency requirement for students. Located just 30 miles north of Chicago, the college resides in the suburb of Lake Forest, Illinois.
Residence Directors are 12-month, full-time, live-in professional staff members in the Office of Residence Life who are responsible for the overall development and management of a residential community. Under the supervision of the Director of Residence Life, Residence Directors have the opportunity to personalize their professional experience while supporting departmental functions. Successful candidates are student-centered, compassionate, adaptable, and interested in developing an inclusive, culturally-empathetic living learning environment.
- Supervise, train, and develop 7-12 undergraduate Resident Assistants
- Execute the Resident Assistant Development Plan, a holistic leadership development model
- Create a positive and engaging living environment in 2-3 residence halls that fosters a sense of belonging and promotes safety and inclusivity using the Community Development Model
- Participate in an on-call duty rotation for 1,100+ residential students
- Maintain a visible, active, and engaged presence on campus
Student Support and Retention
- Develop meaningful relationships with students and provide support and referrals to campus resources based on individual needs
- Support retention initiatives including the Early Alert Student Support Team and initiatives from the Center for Academic Success
- Assist students with conflict resolution issues such as roommate mediations
Student Conduct and Community Standards
- Serve as a college Hearing Officer and adjudicate incidents of student misconduct through administrative conferences and student conduct board
- Execute an educational sanction model through co-creating sanctions and ensure completion of sanctions
- Coordinate all aspects of administrative management for 2-3 residence halls including but not limited to occupancy, facilities, opening and closing procedures, keys, and budget
- Communicate effectively with parents, faculty, and other college administrators
- Provide support and leadership for departmental functions including but not limited to student staff recruitment and training, student conduct, and operational processes
- Opportunity to serve on various departmental and institutional committees
- Other duties as assigned
The Residence Director position is an essential staff position. Responsibilities can be reallocated at the College’s discretion. Residence Directors are Clery campus security authorities and Title IX responsible employees (mandatory reporters).
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior residence life experience is preferred
- Successful candidates can demonstrate experience supervising students, mediating student conflicts, and advocating for and supporting a variety of student needs
- This position entails working a changing and flexible schedule, including evening and weekend commitments
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Furnished apartment including utilities, internet, and cable
- Partial meal plan during the academic year
- On-campus parking
- Campus Recreation Center membership
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- Moving expenses up to a maximum amount
- College benefits
- This is a live-in position with a furnished apartment. Residence Directors are welcome to have a partner, spouse, or other family member live with them. Lake Forest College’s pet policy for live-in staff allows for fish in an aquarium; up to two caged domestic pets (e.g. birds, hamsters, rabbits) OR two cats or one dog weighing less than 35 pounds. Additional provisions may apply.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references via email to the Residence Director Search Committee at [email protected]. Priority will be given to applications received by July 28.
Lake Forest College embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.