Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department:
Police Department Primary Location:
Multiple Locations Position:
Staff Job Type:
Part Time Position Close Date:
Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position performs various support duties for the police department which include visible patrols, crime prevention, monitoring parking, key requests, traffic control, and other related duties as assigned.
- Performs visible patrols throughout the campuses to deter crime and provide assistance as needed
- Unlocks and secures doors and assists with access control on campuses
- Works rotating shifts to include days, nights and weekends.
- Performs audits on call boxes and alarms to ensure each is in working order
- Assists in fire drills or other emergency training drills
- Assists with student escorts
- Responds to calls for assistance when necessary
- Monitors parking lots and issues parking citations
- Assists with administrative tasks (i.e. making student ID’s or answering phones)
- Supports the police department in special events for parking and crowd control
- Observes and reports unsafe practices, suspicious activity and coordinates with the police department concerning emergencies
- Prepares incident reports, maintains duty logs
- Follow established protocols
- Performs other administrative and job related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Skill in interpersonal relations and dealing with the public
- Skill in oral and written communications
- Skill with computers and software programs (i.e. Word, Excel)
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Precinct Commander (Lieutenant) assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
- Includes but not limited to, university procedures, standard operating procedures, MGA policies, University parking policies, Georgia Crime information center and University emergency operations plan.
- Maintains a neat and professional appearance. Must wear uniforms which will be provided by MGA.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The purpose of this position is to support public safety operations for Middle Georgia State University.
- The work consists of varied security, patrol and emergency response duties. The necessity of responding to a variety of circumstances combined with police department and University regulations contributes to the complexity of the position.
- Success in this position contributes to the safety of students, staff, faculty, visitors and others within the campus community.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other university employees, students, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, and support public safety and the police department.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to perform all duties, services, and functions of a public safety patrol
- The work is typically performed outside of an office environment while intermittently sitting, standing, running, stooping, walking, bending, crouching or operating a golf cart.
- The employee may frequently lift up to 50 pounds, climb, work with equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, must be able to distinguish between shades of color, and possess the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in buildings, and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and hazardous or dangerous situations.
- Approximately 75% of each shift will require patrol on foot on uneven surfaces with varying elevations.
- Work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a GED is required. College attendance is preferred.
- Prior security, customer service or comparable experience is preferred.
- Ability to read, write and perform tasks associated with the position are required.
- Must have sufficient computer experience with Microsoft Word and the ability to learn department-related software.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass a background investigation.
- Must complete any assigned training courses relevant to position
- Knowledge of Middle Georgia State University is preferred.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018600 Public Safety Officer - KP 7.15.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest which includes salary requirements; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D