Truck Driver (8553C) - 20874
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 28, 2021
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
The role of this position is to perform recycling and/or refuse collection duties following established practices and policies.
The position drives a rear loader packer truck and other class B vehicles; and collects refuse, recyclables or green waste on a specific route. Assist with loading and unloading refuse, recyclables, compost or green waste into/or from the packer truck, running the rear end controls on the packer truck, and stopping to collect materials placed within receptacles or the replacing the receptacles themselves throughout the campus and/or along the specified route. Drives the packer truck to and from landfill, the transfer station or recycling center or other designated sites. The position performs safety and maintenance inspections of trucks per a set schedule.
- Drives a rear loader packer truck or other class B vehicle and assists in the loading and unloading of recyclable material, green waste, garbage, etc. from trucks.
- Responsible for dumping trucks and collecting litter and empty receptacles.
- Delivers and collects receptacles.
- Operates loading and compacting controls on trucks.
- Cleans and lubricates pivot points on truck bodies.
- Inspects components and fluid levels for cab chassis, body and motors.
- Checks stress points for wear.
- Checks air pressure in tires and tires for wear.
- Recognizes and immediately reports problems and service needs to the lead or supervisor.
- Conducts truck safety inspections on a daily basis as required by the California Highway Patrol BIT Program.
- The employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines/instructions and using PPE (gloves, ear plugs, dust masks, hard toe shoes, uniforms).
- Keeps accurate records such as dump tag service requests, recharge numbers, and route lists.
- Paints, labels, and maintains containers and equipment as needed or directed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated skill and experience driving a packer truck and/or large Class B commercial trucks safely and in tight, confined areas.
- Knowledge and skill to perform vehicle maintenances and safety inspections.
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to interpret and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to move up to 75-100 lbs. routinely.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively with co-workers, clients and the campus community.
- Requires ability to work outdoors in fluctuating and/or extreme weather conditions.
- The regular work schedule is 4:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- This position requires occasional overtime.
- Must be able to respond to emergencies, work weekends and on holidays.
- Requires working outdoors in fluctuating and/or extreme weather conditions.
- Adhere to Facilities Services work rules and Code of Conduct.
- Knowledge of principles of recycling and composting (preferred).
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $25.08 - $35.09, Steps 1.0 - 18.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
In addition to the required DMV pull and Background Check, this position will also require DOT clearance and a drug test.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/sx/index.html
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20874&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency